T.G.I.F. Once again, if you’re water-skiing today (they say it’ll be 77 and sunny)…we understand your reluctance to be tied to a computer or any other mobile device to read this. For the rest of you, here are the five sports stories of note this fine Friday:
1) Four teams left in the WCHA Final Five tournament. Today’s schedule has Minnesota-Duluth taking on Denver in the afternoon session at the X. Tonight, it’s the top-seeded Gophers taking on North Dakota — as Minnesota looks for its first Final Five win since 2008.
2) The Gophers’ women’s hockey team is in the NCAA Frozen Four, which will be played at Duluth’s Amsoil Arena tonight. The first semifinal has top seed Wisconsin facing Boston College. Minnesota, the second seed, takes on Cornell.
3) After an overtime loss to Utah last night, the Timberwolves head to Hollywood tonight. They’re up against the Lakers at Staples Center, looking to avenge last Friday night’s loss at Target Center which cost them Ricky Rubio for the rest of the season.
4) The Vikings fully intend to give Chris Cook another chance to rejoin the team. Cook was acquitted by a jury yesterday in his domestic assault case. Afterwards, the team issued a news release saying the cornerback “deserves the opportunity to rejoin our orginization.”
5) In the girls’ state basketball tournament, it’s time for the Class A and 2A semifinals, with the winners advancing to tomorrow’s title games. The Class 3A matchup is set, with Richfield meeting DeLaSalle. And in 4A, it’ll be Hopkins taking on Osseo.