Firefighters from several departments battled a downtown Hibbing apartment fire that left 15 people displaced in bitter cold temperatures Thursday morning.
The blaze in the two-story brick building began around 10 a.m. when temperatures had only reached -17 degrees.
All residents inside made it out of the building, but two were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Both Sportsmen’s Restaurant and Tavern, which is located below the apartment units, and Zimmy’s Restaurant next door were evacuated. Some staff members stayed warm in their cars to avoid frostbite.
The Red Cross is assisting residents that need assistance with housing.