School will go on as usual at South High School in Minneapolis on Friday, according to the Star Tribune. There had been rumors that the district would cancel classes due to a melee that broke out when a food fight turned physical.
School will not be held on Monday, which is a day off due to President’s Day.
Minneapolis Police said three students and one staff member were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. No weapons were involved and no one was arrested but charges ranging from rioting to disorderly conduct could be filed, according to Sgt. William Palmer.
Police were called to South High Thursday after a food fight in the lunch room got out of control.
Authorities say nearly two dozen staff members attempted to break up the brawl involving 200 to 300 students. Some staff were reportedly pushed to the ground and officers were pelted by students.
WCCO found cell phone video on YouTube from inside the lunch room.
Officers were forced to use mace to break up the crowd.
According to a statement, the high school was placed on precautionary “code yellow” lockdown for the remainder of the day. The fight broke out around 12:45 p.m., during third period lunch, and lasted about 15 minutes.
Students tell the Star Tribune that the incident is connected to long-running racial tension in the school among Somalis and others. Minneapolis Public Schools spokesman Stan Alleyne said the district takes racial complaints seriously and that the school is safe.
KSTP also has video from inside the school.