All Stories

Categories

BMTN Info

Powered by WordPress.com VIP

Last month’s storms caused $2.5M in damage in 4 Minnesota counties

Four more Minnesota counties are requesting State Disaster Assistance following severe storms last month.

State officials will visit Aitkin, Carlton, Crow Wing and Pine counties to assess damage from storms during the week of July 10, when flooding from 7-14 inches of rain caused damage to roads, washed out culverts and stressed sewer systems, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) says.

Local emergency mangers estimate storms did more than $2.5 million of damage to public infrastructure, including:

  • $300,000 in Aitkin County.
  • $798,000 in Carlton County.
  • $389,550 in Crow Wing County.
  • $1,138,000 in Pine County.

Officials say damage doesn’t meet federal requirements for FEMA’s public assistance program, however the counties could qualify for funds through the Minnesota State Disaster Assistance program.

Gov. Mark Dayton has already approved State Disaster Assistance for four locations following powerful storms this summer, including Blue Earth County, Nicollet County, Itasca County and the Leech Lake Reservation.

The state reimburses 75 percent of the total eligible damage costs for each county if State Disaster Assistance is approved. The county is then responsible for the remaining 25 percent of costs, according to the HSEM website.

Comments

 

More in News