The San Diego Chargers finally were able to come to an agreement with their first-round draft pick Joey Bosa, ending the longest rookie holdout in the NFL in years.
After a much publicized contract dispute that drew national headlines and caused the Chargers rookie to miss all of training camp, the team announced it’s signed the defensive end to a four-year contract.
Bosa’s signing ends the longest rookie contract dispute since the new CBA went into effect in 2011.
The Chargers selected Bosa out of Ohio State with the No. 3 overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft. The 21-year-old totaled more than 150 tackles, 50.5 tackles for loss, 26 sacks and 24 quarterback hurries in 41 games over three seasons with the Buckeyes.
According to Pro Football Talk, a league source says the team was willing to add language to the contract that makes it easier for Bosa to earn $6.5 million in guaranteed training camp roster bonuses.
The Chargers also agreed to change the payout schedule of his signing bonus. With the changes Bosa will get a greater percentage of his bonus payout this year than the last four No. 1 overall picks did.
“We look forward to having Joey join us and getting him prepared as quickly as possible for the 2016 season,” said Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco.
Bosa’s holdout made national headlines last week when the Chargers told his agents they were rescinding their offer to him. Bosa did not play on Sunday against the Vikings.