All Stories

Categories

BMTN Info

Powered by WordPress.com VIP

Samsung will replace your Galaxy Note7 after reports of them starting on fire

Samsung is recalling millions of its new Galaxy Note7 smartphones after reports of fires.

The electronics company released a statement on its website Friday saying it has stopped selling the smartphone, which went on sale last month, and will replace anyone’s Note7 with a new one after it found a “battery cell issue.”

That issue: the devices started on fire while charging, the New York Times reports. Samsung says there have been 35 cases reported globally as of Sept. 1.

The recall comes after people started posting images and video of their burned cellphones on social media. Earlier this week, YouTube user Ariel Gonzalez posted a video of a damaged phone – it’s been viewed more than 230,000 times.

Samsung’s statement continued, saying:

“We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.”

The New York Times says the recall – which includes 2.5 million devices – is “unprecedented” for the smartphone industry, which is already struggling with “slowing demand and intense competition.”

CNN Money is calling the recall an “embarrassing setback” for Samsung – the world’s biggest selling smartphone maker – ahead of rival Apple’s expected unveiling of a new smartphone next week.

Besides the fire issue, the BBC says the smartphone has been generally well received. A Forbes review of the phone and its many features calls it “a story of love and hate.” One example the publication gives: The phone’s glass front and back makes it feel great in the hand, but also makes the phone more fragile, noting there have already been reports of it cracking when inside a bag.

 

Comments

 

More in News