“I’d Die For You.”
No, not the incorrect spelling of Prince’s song, but the name of the new collection of “lost” stories by writing icon F. Scott Fitzgerald.
The back catalog of the St. Paul-born author, who wrote some of his famous works while living on Summit Ave., apparently wasn’t comprehensively searched, as publisher Scribner has managed to uncover some previously unpublished works.
A synopsis is on the website of Scribner’s parent company Simon & Schuster, which says it will be releasing “the last remaining unpublished short stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald” on April 11, 2017.
The stories, it says, were either submitted to major magazines by the “Great Gatsby” writer, but never printed, or were stories that couldn’t be sold “because their subject matter or style departed from what editors expected of Fitzgerald in the 1930s.”
Here’s a taste of what to expect:
“You will experience Fitzgerald writing about controversial topics, depicting young men and women who actually spoke and thought more as young men and women did, without censorship. Rather than permit changes and sanitizing by his contemporary editors, Fitzgerald preferred to let his work remain unpublished, even at a time when he was in great need of money and review attention.”
The book’s name is taken from its title story, “I’d Die For You,” which is inspired by his stays in the North Carolina mountains in the 1930s when his health – and his wife’s – were “falling apart.”
The stories mostly come from the mid to late 1930s period, though there are also some from the 1920s and some that were written shortly before his death in 1940.
Preliminary prices for the 320-page tome is $27 for hardback, and $12.99 for the e-Book.
It’s the second time in just over a year a “lost” story of Fitzgerald’s has been discovered.
In July 2015, The Strand magazine found an old, unpublished Fitzgerald short story “Temperature” in the archives at Princeton University.
It was written in 1939, a time when he had been “struggling for years to maintain his presence as a writer,” but was rejected by the Saturday Evening Post.