A TV sports guy in Iowa was walking the edge of inappropriate and funny when he started playfully bashing North Dakotans in advance of Saturday’s big college football game between NDSU and Iowa.
“Guys, I’d like to begin this segment with a joke. North Dakota,” Andy Fales said to open his segment for WHO TV.
Fales proceeded to rip North Dakota continuously during the nearly three-minute segment. Among his cheap shots:
- North Dakotans consider Iowa to be “warm, sunny and exotic.”
- NDSU fans are wasting their time driving to Iowa.
- They could be making money on oil instead of traveling.
- 90 percent of NDSU fans will stay in Iowa so they don’t have to go back to North Dakota.
- Fans should pour rock salt into their eye sockets and “melt the other half of your brains.”
- North Dakotans still use VCRs.
And then he went down the women have mustaches in North Dakota road.
“We are going to go Plains Indians on those velcro wallets of yours,” he said. “And you know what the Plains Indians did to the Bison – they took every part. We’re going to take your money. We’re going to take your spirit. We might even take a few of your women if they remember to shave their mustaches that morning.”
But this is Fales’ schtick. According to the Fargo Forum, Fales has made it his thing to make fun of North Dakota any time NDSU travels to Iowa to play the Hawkeyes or Iowa State Cyclones.
For the record, the Fargo-Moorhead area has about 70,000 more people living in it than the Iowa City area.
But the game should be pretty good. NDSU is ranked No. 1 in the FCS while Iowa is ranked 11th in the FBS coaches poll. The FBS is one level higher than the FCS, although both are Division I programs.