Patty Wetterling posted to Twitter Saturday night, expressing gratitude to those who have shown support or paid tribute to her son, Jacob Wetterling.
Here are some of the ways Jacob is being celebrated:
- The Lynx will be wearing a No. 11 patch on their jerseys throughout the semifinals round of the WNBA playoffs. Before Saturday’s game, KSTP says the team held a moment of silence for Jacob and his family.
- The Twins also donned jerseys with No. 11 patches last week. Afterwards, the jerseys were auctioned off to raise money for the Jacob Wetterling Resource Foundation.
- The Gophers handed out special No. 11 stickers during a game, the Pioneer Press reports. The mascot also wore Jacob’s number.
- Gov. Mark Dayton announced the I-35W Bridge in Minneapolis will glow blue for 11 nights.
- The Vikings also announced a partnership with the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center. WCCO says fans will be able to donate $11 via text.
The #11forJacob movement began days after his remains were recovered from a farm in Paynesville.
According to a Facebook post by the Resource Center, the movement started when a children’s soccer team asked to wear the number 11 – Jacob’s jersey number – during a match.
To expand on it, the Wetterling family and the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center asked people to honor Jacob by living life based on 11 values, including being fair, honest and joyful.