Dayton makes first public comments about Minn. Orchestra lockout

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Gov. Mark Dayton says he has been working behind-the-scenes in trying to find a solution to end the 11-month-long lockout of the Minnesota Orchestra, the Star Tribune reports.

Dayton made his first public comments about the lingering contract dispute after being approached by the paper its booth at the Minnesota State Fair Thursday. He says his most significant contribution was getting former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell to help as a potential mediator in the dispute, but there have also been "several" meetings with both sides.

The governor says both board members and representative of musician that he could be "most effective" with a "behind-the-scenes out-of-sight" kind of role, "rather than a publicly prominent role."

Dayton added that he is "hoping, and this is just my own assumption, that they both want to get it solved, and they have until basically Labor Day to do so."

He also noted that he thought the sides were in their "last window of opportunity."

Dayton's comments come after hundreds of people gathered in Minneapolis earlier this week at a forum presented by the citizens group Orchestrate Excellence to brainstorm solutions to end the lockout.

Aspen Music Festival director Alan Fletcher, who was the keynote speaker presented at the forum, said he hoped the meeting would spur lawmakers to get involved and say, ‘OK, we cannot sit this out. That’s just not a choice.”

In addition, a new website was launched Thursday called Save Our Symphony Minnesota, with organizers saying it was their intention is to end the lockout.

The blog Song of the Lark says securing the URL for the site wasn't easy.

In a post earlier this week, author Emily Hogstad accused management of circumventing citizens' efforts to register an an effective name for a website by purchasing more than a dozen similarly-titled URLs months before the lockout began.

Next Up

Em1jOWyWEAwspXK (1)

St. Paul homicide suspect arrested by FBI in Chicago

A 34-year-old Minneapolis man was killed in the Nov. 14 shooting.

Sanford Health

Sanford Health 'parts ways' with CEO after his face mask comments

Kelby Krabbenhoft had been with the company since 1996.

closed sign

What's open and closed in Minnesota on Thanksgiving Day 2020?

Most services will not be running on Thursday and unlike most years, many stores will be closed, too.

PennyMomentos

How a turkey's brush with celebrity in Bloomington came to a tragic end

DNR: if you care about wild animals, stop feeding them

TCF Bank Stadium

Saturday's Gophers/Badgers football game canceled due to COVID-19 issues

The Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe will not take place for the first time since 1906.

coronavirus, Iowa

MN health officials don't think downside of COVID-19 peak has arrived

We could be in a trough between a series of waves, Jan Malcolm said.

covid-19, coronavirus

Wisconsin reports record 104 deaths from COVID-19 Tuesday

That's roughly 10% of the total in the nation in a 24-hour period.

Drywall

Husband and wife sentenced for fraud scheme through their drywall firm

The Annandale pair bilked an insurance company out of more than $300,000.

ambulance

4 pedestrians suffer life-threatening injuries after being struck by vehicle

Two vehicles crashed into a car that was on the side of the road after striking a deer.

Marcus Carr

Gophers season preview: New lineup, deeper bench, more questions

Mathew Goldstein takes a deep dive into the murky waters of the college hoops season.

Related