Mediator in Minnesota Orchestra dispute makes minor headway

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A proposed interim agreement by former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell in the Minnesota Orchestra labor dispute appears to have won favor with locked-out musicians, but orchestra management has rejected the idea, the Star Tribune reports.

The proposal was reportedly sent to the musicians Wednesday in the form of a confidential letter.

The former Maine senator has been trying to mediate an agreement in the 11-month-long dispute, which resulted in the cancellation of the orchestra's entire 2013-2014 season and proposed shortened summer season.

In a letter to the musicians, Mitchell reportedly proposed a four-month interim agreement that would allow the musicians to return to work from September through December.

According to the Star Tribune, the short-term agreement would have allowed the players to receive salaries based on their expired contract for the first two months, and if a formal pact wasn't reached by the end of October, they would continue to play through December with a six percent pay cut.

If an agreement by the end of the four-month frame, the parties would return to their current positions.

The musicians rejected a similar proposal from management last month, where during a window of mediation they would return to work and for the first two months receive their old salaries. After that, however, a 25 percent cut in pay would go in effect.

When the Star Tribune reached out to orchestra chief executive Michael Henson, he wouldn't on the latest proposal, except to say, "I can confirm that we are in a confidential negotiating process."

Despite the rejection by management of the latest offer, both sides said the process with continue with Mitchell, the Star Tribune reports. Mitchell, in addition to being the former majority leader in the U.S. Senate, also acted as a diplomat to broker peace in Northern Ireland.

Next month will mark a crucial time for the orchestra. Conductor Osmo Vänskä said in May that he would leave his post Sept. 9 if the orchestra loses a prestigious Nov. 3 engagement at New York’s Carnegie Hall because of the lockout.

Next Up

court gavel

Minneapolis man sentenced to 30 years for death in robbery gone wrong

James Moore was sentenced in the death of Malik Smith.

Em1jOWyWEAwspXK (1)

St. Paul homicide suspect arrested by FBI in Chicago

A 34-year-old Minneapolis man was killed in the Nov. 14 shooting.

Sanford Health

Sanford Health 'parts ways' with CEO after his face mask comments

Kelby Krabbenhoft had been with the company since 1996.

closed sign

What's open and closed in Minnesota on Thanksgiving Day 2020?

Most services will not be running on Thursday and unlike most years, many stores will be closed, too.

PennyMomentos

How a turkey's brush with celebrity in Bloomington came to a tragic end

DNR: if you care about wild animals, stop feeding them

TCF Bank Stadium

Saturday's Gophers/Badgers football game canceled due to COVID-19 issues

The Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe will not take place for the first time since 1906.

coronavirus, Iowa

MN health officials don't think downside of COVID-19 peak has arrived

We could be in a trough between a series of waves, Jan Malcolm said.

covid-19, coronavirus

Wisconsin reports record 104 deaths from COVID-19 Tuesday

That's roughly 10% of the total in the nation in a 24-hour period.

Drywall

Husband and wife sentenced for fraud scheme through their drywall firm

The Annandale pair bilked an insurance company out of more than $300,000.

ambulance

4 pedestrians suffer life-threatening injuries after being struck by vehicle

Two vehicles crashed into a car that was on the side of the road after striking a deer.

Related