Minneapolis chef to compete on ABC's 'The Taste' - Bring Me The News

Minneapolis chef to compete on ABC's 'The Taste'

Author:
Publish date:

Minneapolis chef Sarah Master is about to get a taste of network reality television.

The Pioneer Press reports Master, who is the head chef at Barbette in Minneapolis, passed the audition stage for "The Taste" and will be one of the competitors on the ABC show starting Thursday.

The show features judges and mentors Anthony Bourdain, Marcus Samuelsson, Nigella Lawson and Ludo Lefebvre.

Master, who briefly appeared on last week's audition episode, is on Team Marcus and will be mentored by the famed chef during the competition.

The Pioneer Press says Samuelsson's background has a little Minnesota flavor: He was a chef in Minneapolis in the late 1990s when the New York-based restaurant Aquavit was open here.

The paper says Master grew up on the Iron Range and tended goal for the University of Minnesota women's hockey team. She learned her culinary skills at Delgado College in Louisiana and worked at places like the five-star restaurant Victor's in New Orleans before returning to Minnesota to work at Barbette in 2007.

In the show, Bourdain, Samuelsson, Lawson and Lefebvre each choose four competitors to mentor. In turn, the competitors face each other in weekly challenges.

The winner of "The Taste" will receive $100,000 and a Ford C-Max.

Master told City Pages that "The Taste" isn't her first brush with reality television. She also auditioned and was set to compete on the first season of the Food Network's "Cutthroat Kitchen," but was cut from the show last-minute.

The experience did have a silver lining, however.

"The casting agents liked me so much they decided to re-submit my application for 'The Taste,'" Master told City Pages.

Master was featured in the Star Tribune in August after winning the second annual Master of the Market chef competition at the Minneapolis Farmers Market.

Next Up

Related