Minnesota Orchestra cancels concerts through early April

Author:
Updated:
Original:

The Minnesota Orchestra Friday canceled or rescheduled concerts through April 7, Minnesota Public Radio reports.

While the musicians' union and management have reportedly made progress in contract talks in the past few weeks, management says the cancellations were necessary because of its arrangement with the Minneapolis Convention Center for the orchestra to play there.

According to Minnesota Orchestra president Michael Henson, management and musicians are working on getting an independent financial analysis completed.

The lockout of the orchestra's musicians is now in its fifth month.

At least one victory for the musicians could come this weekend for the Minnesota Orchestra. The group is up for a Grammy for Best Orchestral Performance in "Sibelius: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 5" at the 55th annual Grammy Awards.

Meanwhile, there is no reported movement in the labor dispute between The St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and its management.

Management for the SPCO last month cancelled its concerts through March 23, the Star Tribune reports.

In a statement posted on the SPCO's site Jan. 30, musicians said they feared the lockout "will likely drag on for weeks because of Management’s unwillingness to compromise, its continued refusal to change its draconian salary offers and its reluctance to even respond to the Musicians' concessionary proposals."

Next Up

Related