Skip to main content

Minnesota Orchestra lockout hits 6-month mark Monday

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

The lockout of the Minnesota Orchestra will hit the six-month mark Monday, and with no movement in talks between musicians and management, the cancellation of the rest of the orchestra's season appears to be a certainty, the Star Tribune reports.

Orchestra musicians were locked out starting Oct. 1, and has the dispute has dragged on amid the renovation of Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. The project is expected to be completed by July.

Orchestra management, meanwhile, has canceled concerts through April 27.

The landmark in the lockout approaches as talks in the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra move forward.

The SPCO announced Friday that they have submitted a counteroffer to management -- the latest part of exchange spurred by an intervention in the dispute by St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman last week.

Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, on the other hand, doesn't appear to be primed to get in the middle of talks between the Minnesota Orchestra and management yet.

When asked by the paper for a response to the six-month lockout anniversary, Rybak replied in an email through a representative, saying the dispute "will only be resolved when both sides start talking to each other."

Rybak, the paper noted, hosted a "neutral" concert in February celebrating the orchestra's recent Grammy nomination.

Earlier this week, about 100 members of the Minnesota Legislature requested an audit of the Minnesota Orchestra's use of state money.

Minnesota legislative auditor Jim Nobles said the orchestra has received state money for several purposes, including money to remodel Orchestra Hall.

Next Up

ambulance

Man dies after being 'punched in the head' during altercation in Duluth

A 46-year-old man is in custody and facing 1st-degree manslaughter charges.

Deion Sanders

Deion Sanders says Zimmer, Spielman hadn't spoken 'in months'

Sanders' comments revealed some of the Vikings' issues last season.

police tape, crime scene

Brooklyn Park man pleads guilty in 2020 fatal drive-by shooting

Devon Manley will be sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 30 years.

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 7.48.35 AM

Man gets 10 years for fatal pawn shop fire during Minneapolis riots

The incident, which took place during riots in May 2020,  resulted in one man's death.

Rep. Ilhan Omar

Election officials dismiss conservative group's complaint against Rep. Ilhan Omar

The group alleged that she used campaign funds on her future husband's consulting firm.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.53.04 AM

Reports: 6 names surface in Vikings' search for new head coach

Six names have surfaced Saturday in the Minnesota Vikings' hunt for a new head coach.

Pexels - face mask covid holding

Minnetonka approves mask mandate in emergency ordinance

The mandate officially goes into effect Monday night.

snow, measuring snow, snow totals

Here are the snow totals from Friday's winter storm in Minnesota

There was a sharp gradient around the Twin Cities, with the highest amounts in southwestern Minnesota.

Mats Zuccarello

Zuccarello scores twice, Wild win third straight

A team effort helped Minnesota dispatch the Ducks.

Rep. Tou Xiong

State lawmaker Tou Xiong apologizes after driving under the influence

The state representative was pulled over on the night of Jan. 8.

St Lukes Duluth GSV Pro

Duluth hospital requiring visitors to show vax proof, neg. test

The health care system is also tightening visitor guidelines.

ridgeview urgent care facebook

Ridgeview halting urgent care at a Twin Cities site 'until further notice'

The organization cited "growing emergency medical needs" at the facility.

Related