Prince sues fans for $22M, claims they shared bootleg recordings - Bring Me The News

Prince sues fans for $22M, claims they shared bootleg recordings

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0

Minnesota's Prince apparently wants fans to pay the price for sharing some of his bootleg recordings, according to a new lawsuit.

The music blog Consequence of Sound says the Purple One filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco last week against 22 fans. He's seeking $1 million from each, claiming "massive infringement and bootlegging" of his material.

The 21-page lawsuit was filed under the musician's real name – Prince Rogers Nelson – against two individuals, Dan Chodera and Karina Jindrova, and 20 anonymous parties.

In addition to the $22 million, Prince is suing for "any profits generated from from the material, plus interest and legal fees."

The Current points out that the lawsuit is suing fans "who merely posted links to illegal recordings of his concert – not just fans who actively uploaded or hosted files."

Meanwhile, Prince is readying his "Hit and Run" tour of London, which is set for next month, Spin says.

The music magazine says the tour, starting Feb. 3, will find Prince playing venues in and around the city. The tour will reportedly start in the living room of British singer-songwriter Lianne La Havas, whom the Minnesota music icon met during her 2013 U.S. tour.

Spin says she jokingly suggested Prince use her apartment to hold a press conference, and he apparently accepted the invite.

Fans in the U.S., meanwhile, will be able to see Prince after the airing of the Super Bowl Feb. 2 on FOX when he guest stars in a new episode of the hit sitcom "New Girl."

Related

Next Up