No more purple pain: Prince drops $22M lawsuit against fans - Bring Me The News

No more purple pain: Prince drops $22M lawsuit against fans

Author:
Publish date:

Minnesota musician Prince is no longer going after nearly two dozen fans over claims of copyright infringement.

TMZ reports that Prince, who filed suit against 22 fans over claims of bootlegging earlier this month, has filed a motion to have the lawsuit dismissed.

The action comes after an apparent backlash by fans over the proceedings, where he was seeking $1 million from each claiming “massive infringement and bootlegging” of his material.

Prince filed the 21-page lawsuit last week in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco under his real name, Prince Rogers Nelson, according to the music blog Consequence of Sound.

In a statement issued to TMZ, Prince's lawyer said the musician was dropping the lawsuit because the "bootleggers have now taken down the illegal downloads and are no longer engaging in piracy."

"We recognize the fans (are) craving for as much material as possible, but we’d prefer they get it from us directly than from third parties who are scalpers rather than real fans of our work," the attorney said in the statement.

TMZ noted that the lawsuit was dismissed without prejudice, which means the music icon could refile it if he wishes to.

Prince, meanwhile, will be showing off his work as an actor Sunday when he appears in a guest role on the FOX sitcom "New Girl," which will air after the Super Bowl.

Next Up

Related