Skip to main content

Minnesota Orchestra and musicians end lockout, approve new contract

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

The Minnesota Orchestra's management and musicians ended a 15-month lockout Tuesday by ratifying the terms of a new contract agreement.

The orchestra says the three-year contract takes effect Feb. 1. The lead negotiator for the Minnesota Orchestral Association's board, Richard Davis, says both the musicians and the board made concessions. Clarinetist Tim Zavadil says the musicians are pleased that there's a solution and are anxious to start performing in Orchestra Hall again.

The orchestra says concerts will resume in February, but no specifics were announced.

The Star Tribune reports the average salary in the first year of the new contract will be $114,000 – down from $135,000 before the lockout. The newspaper says musicians will also pay significantly more for health care.

As KSTP reports, musicians' base pay is 15 percent lower than the 2012 level.

According to Minnesota Public Radio the musicians say the new contract keeps them among the nation's ten highest-paying orchestras. MPR says the musicians also received a promise of at least 20 weeks of classical concerts per year.

Board member Davis says in the Pioneer Press: "Our success now depends on our ability to move forward with positive spirit as one organization." MPR says the lockout was the longest labor dispute at a major American orchestra.

Having lost an entire concert season and parts of two others to the labor impasse, the musicians last month announced plans to stage their own series of concerts independent of the Orchestral Association.

Even in a year without concerts, orchestra management says it ran a deficit of more than $1 million for the fiscal year.

The lockout began in October of 2012 after musicians rejected a contract that would have cut salaries by 40 percent, the Star Tribune says. The newspaper reports the new agreement is silent on the status of former music director Osmo Vänskä. Vänskä resigned last October 1 when the lockout became one year old and forced the orchestra to cancel a pair of prestigious concerts at New York's Carnegie Hall.

Next Up

holy angels high school j nelson

Update: Holy Angels evacuated over bomb threat, school says

Someone left a voicemail early Tuesday suggesting there was an explosive device.

radio station, microphone

Convicted stalker charged with harassment of another DJ at The Current

He pleaded guilty to similar charges involving the DJ's colleague back in 2015.

Mall of America exterior Tyler Vigen Wikimedia COmmons

10 new shops, food stops at Mall of America

Donuts, K-fashion, model cars — the new tenants cover a lot of bases.

Gophers basketball

Gophers fall below roster minimum, postpone Penn State game

It is "due to internal COVID-19 protocols within the Golden Gopher program."

Raheem Morris

Report: Vikings request interview with Rams' Raheem Morris

Morris was once the youngest head coach in the NFL at 33 years old.

train crossing S Boardman Ave, New York Mills, Minnesota - August 2013 crop GSV

Sheriff: Drunk driver crashed trying to 'beat the train'

The BNSF train slammed into the side of the driver's car.

ambulance

Man run over after parking dispute leads to road rage crash

The two groups fought about parking prior to the crash.

hwy 41 engler boulevard crash crop

Deadly crash shuts down small stretch of Chaska highway for hours

A driver crossed over the center median and hit another vehicle.

covid test 6

You can now order 4 free at-home COVID tests from the government

Tests will ship for free within 7-12 days, according to the White House.

covid-19

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Tuesday, January 18

Minnesota has reached 11,000 COVID-19 deaths.

1114_LA-116

Vikings must continue building out receiving corps in 2022

Justin Jefferson headlines a young, promising group, but more depth is still needed

Related