Skip to main content

The maestro returns: Vänskä reportedly has Minnesota Orchestra contract

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Multiple news outlets report that Osmo Vänskä is returning to the Minnesota Orchestra as music director.

The Star Tribune says the orchestra's board of directors approved a two-year contract Thursday and Vänskä will return on May 1 to the post he held for 10 years before a labor dispute rocked the orchestra.

MPR News reports Vänskä's return will help the rebuilding process after a 16-month lockout of musicians forced the cancellation of an entire season.

Vänskä resigned in October after the orchestra cancelled a pair of prestigious concert dates at New York's Carnegie Hall. After musicians and management finally agreed on a new contract in January, Vänskä said publicly that in order for the orchestra to heal Michael Henson would need to leave his post as President and CEO.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that Vänskä's return as music director was also widely seen – particularly among musicians – as a necessity to rebuilding trust.

If those developments were indeed prerequisites for healing, they are hurdles that have now been cleared. Henson announced last month that he's stepping down at the end of August. He had his supporters, though. Eight of them resigned from the board in the wake of Henson's announcement.

Now Vänskä's return might be seen as the dropping of the other shoe.

As the Post reports, Vänskä is in Washington, D.C., this week, conducting performances of the National Symphony Orchestra Thursday through Saturday.

Next Up

ambulance

Fatal crash involving 18-year-old in western Minnesota

The 18-year-old was not wearing a seatbelt, the State Patrol said.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 7.11.05 AM

2 women stabbed during parking lot brawl in St. Cloud

Police are searching for another woman in connection with the attack.

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 10.02.43 AM

One killed in St. Paul house fire

Two firefighters were injured as they battled the blaze.

fireworks-gad76f1de1_1280

Minneapolis: Stop calling 911 for fireworks noise complaints

The city wants people to submit complaints online instead.

American flag at half-staff/half mast.

What's open and closed in Minnesota on the Fourth of July

Grocery stores are open, though some have limited hours.

ambulance

18-year-old killed by exploding firework in Brooklyn Park

Police arrived at the scene to see the victim's friend performing CPR.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 9.31.25 PM

Boy found in Brooklyn Park is reunited with parents

The boy was found shortly before 6 p.m. Sunday.

police tape, crime scene

1 dead, 1 arrested after shooting involving teens in Duluth

A 17-year-old was arrested around 1:45 a.m. Sunday. Neither the victim nor the suspect has been identified.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 1.03.19 PM

NASCAR driver joins MN boy in reclaiming 'Let's go Brandon' slogan

Brandon Brundidge gained recognition when his mother shared the story of how he found inspiration in "Let's go Brandon" signs.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.20.27 AM

White supremacist propaganda flyers distributed in Cottage Grove

The department said the flyers have been left in driveways throughout the city.

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 7.18.23 AM

Search for 6-year-old girl continues after mother found dead in Northfield

"Police have reason to believe Wade may have been involved in Elle's disappearance before taking her own life."

Related