Skip to main content

Want to be different from your identical twin? Go to space

The study is a precursor to a three-year manned trip to Mars.
  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

What's happening?

Science, that's what's happening. Glorious, wonderful, space science.

NASA has on Wednesday released the result of its groundbreaking study involving Astronaut Scott Kelly and his identical twin brother, Mark.

Scott spent a year in space aboard the International Space Station as part of the study to figure out the impact of prolonged space exposure on the body.

It's a precursor to a possible three-year manned expedition to Mars, and what they found is mind-blowing.

Related:

– What do people miss most during a year in space?

They're not the same anymore

The headline finding from the experiment concerns Scott Kelly's genes, in that he's no longer genetically identical to his brother.

Although 93 percent of Scott's genes returned to normal once he returned to Earth, the remaining 7 percent had possibly mutated.

NASA says that this could lead to longer term changes in Scott's genes relating to "his immune system, DNA repair, bone formation networks, hypoxia and hypercapnia."

Hypoxia refers to the amount of oxygenation in Scott's tissue, that may have been affected due to a lack of oxygen and high levels of carbon dioxide in space, KTLA notes.

NASA refers to these possible changes as the "space gene."

NASA also notes that the increased stay in space didn't result in a decrease in Scott's cognitive performance relative to his brother on the ground, however there was a "more pronounced decrease in speed and accuracy."

You can read more on the study here.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 6.44.11 PM

Lengthy standoff in Prior Lake ends late Friday night

The suspect allegedly assaulted an officer outside Kwik Trip, fled and broke into a home.

snow - 12-10-21 - Joe Nelson - 5

Accumulating snow possible in Twin Cities next week

The storm system could arrive in the Tuesday-Wednesday timeframe.

Target store snow

With Black Friday barely underway, Target reveals Cyber Monday deals

Plans for the two-day sale were revealed Friday morning.

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 9.37.25 AM

Man waves replica assault weapon at drivers in downtown Minneapolis

The alarming incident was spotted by the new MPD chief, Brian O'Hara.

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 9.29.58 AM

Extremely drunk driver arrested in Chaska

The driver was more than four times the legal limit.

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 8.21.21 AM

Stillwater police looking for suspect who stole vehicle with 1-year-old inside

The suspect abandoned the vehicle with the child still inside just 5 minutes after the theft.

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 5.01.34 PM

Suspected Bloomington restaurant killer arrested in Oklahoma

The 47-year-old Texas man was arrested around 12:30 a.m. Thursday.

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 9.16.39 AM

Minnetonka woman, 23, ID'd as victim killed in Minneapolis crash

The fatal crash happened near the Minneapolis Convention Center on Nov. 21.

canada-goose-g304751a8f_1280

More than 100 geese, ducks found dead on partially frozen MN lake

The discovery was made in Waseca at the weekend.

e-bike

After losing sponsor, advocates fear Minneapolis' Nice Ride could shut down

They are calling on the city to provide financial support till a new sponsor is found.

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 3.32.46 PM

Colleen Lindstrom announces departure from MyTalk radio show

Lindstrom's last broadcast on the long-running show will be Dec. 9.

Related

Astronaut, Nobel Prize winners in town to inspire young innovators

They'll speak to thousands of students and researchers.

NASA

Jupiter, Saturn will nearly align this month, creating a Christmas star

It's a rare planetary event that hasn't happened in about 800 years.

U of M professor helps discover a huge star

Icarus was discovered thanks to a cosmic quirk.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 11.07.20 AM

Science Museum's massive Omnitheater to premiere 'Apollo 11' film

The St. Paul museum will join in the nationwide premiere of the 50th anniversary documentary.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 4.48.04 PM

NASA's Boeing 747-mounted telescope makes a stop at MSP

It drew quite a crowd to the MSP viewing area.

ISSAboveYou - Duluth North Shore - Oct 18 2021

Watch: Mille Lacs, Duluth captured in stunning video from ISS

The space station provides a vantage point 260 miles above the Earth's surface.

geminids-meteor-shower

Draconid meteor shower will be most visible Friday evening

The meteor shower is most visible in the northern hemisphere.