More than a dozen Minnesota museums will be free to visit Saturday.
It's part of the Smithsonian Magazine's "The Museum Day Live!" – an annual celebration of "boundless curiosity," where hundreds of museums and cultural centers will provide free admission to anyone with a Museum Day Live! ticket.
This event has grown over the past 12 years, from 200 participating museums to about 1,250 now, CNBC reports. And this year, 18 museums in Minnesota will be participating:
- Freeborn County Historical Museum in Albert Lea
- Legacy of the Lakes Museum and Gardens in Alexandria
- The Works Museum in Bloomington
- Minnesota Landscape Arboretum in Chanhassen
- Carlton County Historical Society in Cloquet
- Linden Hill Historical Event Center in Little Falls
- Minnesota Military Museum in Little Falls
- Bell Museum of Natural History in Minneapolis
- Hennepin History Museum in Minneapolis
- Steele County History Center in Owatonna
- North West Company Fur Post in Pine City
- Pavek Museum of Broadcasting in St. Louis Park
- Gibbs Farm: Pathways to Dakota and Pioneer Life in St. Paul
- Hillstrom Museum of Art in St. Peter (free every day)
- Scott County Historical Society at the Stans Museum in Shakopee
- Center for Hmong Studies in St. Paul (free every day)
- Minnesota Museum of American Art in St. Paul (free every day)
- Minnesota Marine Art Museum in Winona
Click here to find a complete list participating museums nationwide, and then to download a ticket (one ticket is free admission for two people), click here. Note that three of the museums – Hillstrom Museum, Center for Homing Studies, and Museum of American Art – are free every day, but still participating.
For a list of other museums in Minnesota – some of which have free events or free admission – check out this list put together by Explore Minnesota.