Skip to main content

Blog post suggests proposal made in Minnesota Orchestra negotiations

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A blog post by a British music critic suggested a proposal has been made in the contract dispute between the management and the musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra, the Star Tribune reports.

Norman Lebrecht, the author of the blog Slipped Disc, posted a report Monday that he has seen a document where management proposes a two-month lift of the lockout starting Sept. 1.

Lebrecht also notes that after that, "the old contract would prevail for a two-month period of negotiations" and "if no agreement is reached on a new contract by that time, a two-year agreement would snap into effect wit 25% across-the-board pay cuts."

The proposal, however, has been deemed "absurd and unacceptable" by the musician's negotiating committee, Lebrecht writes.

Lebrecht noted that the committee is calling on all musicians to reject the proposal.

"They say it amounts to a demand that they agree to a destructive two-year contract as a condition of even restarting negotiations," the blogger wrote.

The Star Tribune says management spokeswoman Gwen Pappas issued a statement about the post, saying, "Our position is that we are respecting the negotiating process, trying to work out of the limelight, so we have no comment on the Lebrecht piece."

In addition, musicians spokesman Blois Olson would not comment, but said "there are several inaccuracies."

Minnesota Public Radio reached a musicians representative about the blog post, who responded, "No news here. I am getting a hair cut."

The musicians have been locked out since Oct. 1.

Talking with MPR by phone from London, Lebrecht told MPR said he couldn't share the documents, but could reveal that the musicians had offered to enter mediation if management let them return to work for six months under the old contract -- and management countered with the two-month, 25 percent pay cut proposal.

Lebrecht's prospects of an agreement being reached now appears grim.

"I wish I was able to tell you the dispute was over. But this may be the day the music died," he told MPR.

Lebrecht's blog post comes less than two weeks after a report suggested orchestra management and the musicians union were quietly talking behind the scenes.

After months of dates being called off in the dispute, the orchestra canceled the remainder of the season in early May. Earlier this month, management called off the orchestra's shorted summer season as well.

In addition to the departure of some musicians during the dispute, orchestra conductor Osmo Vänskä said in May that he would eave his post if the orchestra loses a prestigious Nov. 3 engagement at New York’s Carnegie Hall.

According to MPR, the conductor said he would need to start rehearsing with the musicians for the Carnegie Hall concert by early September.

Next Up

FLickr - AL Franken 2016 - Lorie Shaull

Al Franken to bring comedy tour to Minneapolis

Acme Comedy is hosting the former senator in late August.

Alabama

Alabama replaces Toby Keith as headliner at MN music festival

The Lakefront Music Festival is set to take place in Prior Lake on July 8-9.

16362 County Rd 81, Maple Grove, Minnesota - October 2021 (4)

2-year-old who died in Maple Grove crash identified

The crash happened last Thursday on County Road 81 in Maple Grove.

Image from iOS

Shooting inside Oakdale movie theater: Suspect on the run

A 23-year-old was shot while inside theater 17 around 10 p.m.

Gov. Tim Walz and Scott Jensen.

Walz, Jensen clash over 'extreme' abortion views

The two clashed over the topic on Tuesday, following the Roe v. Wade decision by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 12.24.27 PM

Movie filming brings memorable day for MN teen with leukemia

Ayotzin Limon-Millard was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia last year.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 1.25.30 PM

Police trying to ID 'Playboy bandit' and 'no-pants raider' suspect

Police are calling the unidentified man "the Playboy bandit" and the "no-pants raider."

storm, severe, shelf cloud

Twin Cities under severe thunderstorm watch Tuesday afternoon

Large hail and damaging winds are the main threats.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 9.27.30 AM

Famous Dave's family brings new BBQ biz to the south metro

The newest Twin Cities location is the first to offer wine slushies on the menu.

storm, shelf cloud, severe weather

Large hail possible with strong storms in eastern MN, WI

Watch the forecast update with meteorologist Sven Sundgaard.

Tony Evers, Wisconsin governor

WI governor vows to protect anyone charged with abortion crimes

“You think it’s bad now? The four Republicans that are going after me, one of them we’re going to beat, they are going to make it worse," Evers said.

covid

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Tuesday, June 28

The state will stop providing daily updates and move to weekly editions beginning Thursday, June 30.

Related