Skip to main content
Publish date:

Family dogs nearly burn down house trying to get leftover pizza

Luckily, no one (animal and otherwise) was hurt.
Farmington Fire Department, Facebook

Muzzy and Quinn just wanted to nibble on some pizza. After all, it had been left out on the stove by their owners — clearly an invitation to chow down, right?

Unfortunately, their attempt to get their paws on the pie triggered a fire that required the intervention of the Farmington Police Department. 

According to a Facebook post from the local fire department, one of the dogs managed to turn a burner on while trying to swipe the pizza. 

The pizza box caught fire. Luckily, police officers arrived "quickly" and "removed the burning pizza box from the house before the fire spread to the walls and cabinets," the fire department says. 

Everyone was evacuated from the house safely. As for the two culprits, they escaped the incident without harm. 

In their Facebook post, the fire department also warned residents to keep anything that can burn three feet away from the stove. 

It's a more common problem than you might think. According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 1,000 home fires each year are accidentally started by pets.

There are steps you can take to prevent, or at least reduce the risk of, such fires. The American Red Cross has a list of recommendations, which include using stove knob covers:

  • Extinguish Open Flames - Pets are generally curious and will investigate cooking appliances, candles, or even a fire in your fireplace. Ensure your pet is not left unattended around an open flame and make sure to thoroughly extinguish any open flame before leaving your home.
  • Remove Stove Knobs - Be sure to remove stove knobs or protect them with covers before leaving the house - a stove or cook top is the number one piece of equipment involved in your pet starting a fire.
  • Invest in Flameless Candles - These candles contain a light bulb rather than an open flame, and take the danger out of your pet knocking over a candle. Cats are notorious for starting fires when their tails turn over lit candles.
  • Secure Young Pets - keep them confined away from potential fire-starting hazards when you are away from home such as in crates or behind baby gates in secure areas.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 7.59.52 AM

More than 2 years after announcing, Duck Donuts finally opens at MOA

The grand opening of the new location took place Wednesday.

unsplash - school girl students

St. Paul is closing 6 schools amid declining enrollment

The board revised the plan after the school communities voiced concerns.

Karl-Anthony Towns

X-rays negative after Karl-Anthony Towns takes scary fall

Towns crashed hard to the ground late in the game Wednesday night.

Minneapolis police

2 more homicides push Minneapolis closer to record set in 1995

The deadly shootings happened on the city's North Side Wednesday night.

Karl-Anthony Towns

KAT sets a franchise record, leaves early in loss to Wizards

Towns fell on his back in the final minutes of a loss in Washington.

Flickr - police lights squad siren - Edward Kimmel

Man shot by police in Forest Lake dies from injuries

It was one of two police shootings in the Twin Cities on the same day, both of which proved fatal.

Dylan Bundy

Report: Twins agree to deal with Dylan Bundy

The Twins signed the right-hander with a lockout imminent.

Flickr - face masks covid pole - Ivan Radic

'Everyone should really be masking up' in public, Malcolm says

The health commissioner said residents have gotten "a little bit lax" with some protective measures.

Byron Buxton

Byron Buxton believes he's the best player in baseball

"Nobody [does] the things that I do. I know that."

unsplash medical marijuana

Edibles coming to Minnesota's medical marijuana program

MDH also announced it will not add anxiety as qualifying condition.

plow, snowplow, snow

Plowable snow possible this weekend in Minnesota

Up to half a foot of snow could fall within the heaviest band.

Related

Rescued dog and her new owner, an Indiana firefighter

Dog severely burned in house fire adopted... by firefighter

Lexi Ann was on the brink of death after a "horrible" house fire in January.

Frazee Fire Department

Man severely burned, 2 dogs die in west-central MN fire

The fire was reported just after 8:20 p.m. Monday.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 7.33.45 AM

Family owned auto business burns down in northern Minnesota

A business that has been around since 1938 is a total loss.

1 killed, 1 badly burned in house explosion south of Hastings

The explosion was reported just after 6 a.m. Tuesday.

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.47.23 AM

Nearly 30 years later, toy boat launched from Duluth finally washes ashore

It was launched as part of an elementary school class project.