Skip to main content

Former Minnesota U.S. Sen. Rod Grams in hospice care

  • Author:
  • Updated:

After being diagnosed with cancer in April of last year, former U.S. Sen. Rod Grams is now in hospice care at his home in eastern Minnesota, according to the Associated Press.

Kent Kaiser, a family spokesperson, told the Associated Press that Grams, 65, is still upbeat and can still get around by himself.

Minnesota Public Radio also confirmed the news with Grams' wife, Chris Grams, but she declined to provide any additional details.

The Republican politician served single terms in both the U.S. House and Senate after working for a several years as a television news anchor for KMSP-TV.

He lost his Senate re-election bid in 2000 to Mark Dayton, who is now governor.

Grams and his wife currently own three radio stations, KLTF-AM, KFML-FM and WYRQ-FM, in Little Falls.

Next Up

Dave Hutchinson

Dave Hutchinson has police license suspended for 30 days

The sheriff's suspension will begin on Nov. 22.

minnesota bureau of criminal apprehension - bca

Man with sword, officers who shot him in North Branch identified

The 31-year-old was shot multiple times in the Friday incident.

Jeff Plush

MN-based USA Curling 'reviewing' report that CEO ignored abuse in NWSL

Jeff Plush is under fire for multiple allegations made by U.S. women soccer players.

Axdahl's Garden Farm & Greenhouse

7 Minnesota pumpkin patches to visit this fall

Plenty of patches to pick the best pumpkin

slushy snow

Sven Sundgaard responds to AccuWeather's winter forecast

Take anything beyond a couple weeks with a grain of salt, warns meteorologist Sven Sundgaard.


Rage Against the Machine cancels rest of tour, including MN shows

The cancellations include a 2023 stop at the Target Center.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 11.03.16 AM

Watch: Speeding drivers use Minneapolis bike lanes to overtake

Community members have called for better safety precautions in response.

Jamal Smith

Jamal Smith sentenced to life for Plymouth road rage killing

A guilty verdict was determined by a jury this summer.