Grand Mound Historic Site will stay closed to the public, except for Native Americans

It follows a request made by descendants of Native Americans buried there.
Author:
Publish date:

A sacred burial ground in northern Minnesota will remain closed to the public at the request of descendants of the Native Americans buried there.

The Grand Mound Historic Site, on the northern Minnesota border with Canada, has been owned by the Minnesota Historical Society since 1970, but the site and its visitor center closed to the public in 2002 because of budget cuts.

Over the past 16 years, MNHS has preserved and secured the site as it tried to figure out what would happen with it going forward, and four years ago started engaging with local community leaders from International Falls, Koochiching County and Native American tribes.

This ultimately led to the decision announced on Friday that the site would remain closed to the general public, but limited access would be granted to Native Americans, to be used for ceremonial and educational purposes.

"This site is first and foremost a burial ground with thousands of human remains still interred there," said Joe Horse Capture, director of Native American Initiatives at MNHS, in a news release.

"This decision honors Native ancestors and ensures respect for Native American culture and history."

Subscribe: Sign up for our daily newsletters

"Grand Mound is part of an interconnected line of burial mounds that runs for 90 miles along the Canadian and U.S. sides of the Rainy River," added Kent Whitworth, MNHS director and CEO. 

"The historical importance of this site cannot be understated, but we must protect it and provide education while also ensuring that Native people can care for the place where their ancestors lie."

Next Up

Adam Thielen

Vikings place Adam Thielen on COVID-19/reserve list

Thielen is coming off a two-touchdown game against the Cowboys.

MCF Oak Park Heights

COVID-positive inmate at Oak Park Heights prison dies

He becomes the fourth prison inmate to die from the virus.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 1.08.19 PM

2-ton smoker stolen from Twin Cities chef Thomas Boemer

Boemer is the chef behind restaurants including the popular Revival.

Governor Tim Walz

Walz says relief package is coming for Minnesota small businesses

Walz is prepared to call a special session and pass the package immediately.

Governor Tim Walz

Watch live: Gov. Tim Walz COVID-19 press conference Monday

Walz will be introducing a new app that helps Minnesotans track COVID-19 exposures.

Related

Historic Fort Snelling

Minnesota Historical Society keeps its funding after Fort Snelling row

The society had been threatened with funding cuts after changing the Fort Snelling sign.

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 12.36.25 PM

MNHS to consider a new name for Historic Fort Snelling

Any final decision would be up to the state legislature.