Guthrie Theater to close for rest of 2020, only 3 plays booked for 2021

The celebrated Minneapolis theater won't re-open till March next year.
Author:
Publish date:
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 9.43.31 AM

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic shutdown has caused the Guthrie Theater to cancel more of its production plans.

The acclaimed theater on Friday announced that it's being forced to slash its budget by 60 percent and cut its planned 2020/21 season down from nine plays to just three. That includes the cancelation of all its planned shows in 2020, including its hugely popular annual production of A Christmas Carol in December.

The Guthrie had already canceled the remainder of its 2019/20 season in early April as the pandemic spread, shutting down productions scheduled up to late August.

One of those shows, Sweat, is one of the three productions being planned for next year, with the others being Noel Coward's Private Lives and an as-yet unannounced third play.

The Guthrie said that its budget of $31 million for 2020/21 has been cut to $12.6 million, with the next season set for March to August 2021.

In his email to employees, shared by WCCO, artistic director Joseph Haj said: "I’m reminded that the Guthrie’s first season was four shows, May – September of 1963, and from those four shows we grew. We will grow again and we will thrive again. But, for a time, we will necessarily be a much smaller version of ourselves.

"We remain focused on our mission, vision, and values and are taking steps now to ensure that we will come back in a way that allows us to grow and continue to serve the amazing community that has supported us for nearly 60 years.”

Next Up

Related