The planned Broadway on Hennepin schedule is undergoing some major changes resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Hennepin Theatre Trust has announced a variety of changes to its Broadway season for 2020/21, which includes one cancelation and the rescheduling of others.
Impacted by the postponements are the sure-to-be big sellers Hamilton and Frozen, the latter of which had been scheduled for this month, but the theatre trust is now to reschedule it for some as-yet unconfirmed dates in 2021.
Hamilton, which was due to run between Oct. 6 and Nov. 22 this year, has now been pushed back to July 28-Aug. 29, 2021.
At this time, only one show, Summers: The Donna Summer Musical, has been canceled.
"Presenting touring Broadway requires months of preparation and much of the production process, such as casting, building sets and costumes, and rehearsing, cannot begin until it is safe to work," the theatre trust said in an email to subscribers.
"The timing of launching new tours and resuming existing tours will be delayed due to this shut down."
At this stage it's not offering refunds to rescheduled shows, only those that are canceled. Ticket holders have the option of receiving a credit or to donate the value of their tickets to the trust.
Here's a look at the status of the Broadway shows.
– Disney’s Frozen: Originally scheduled for May 6-31, 2020. HTT "working with show producers to confirm dates for fall 2021."
– Summer: The Donna Summer Musical: Originally scheduled for July 14-19, 2020. Now canceled.
– Come From Away: Originally scheduled for Aug. 11-23, 2020. HTT "working with show producers to evaluate the timing and feasibility of the Minneapolis engagement."
– Hamilton: originally scheduled for Oct. 6-Nov. 22, 2020. Rescheduled for July 28-Aug. 29, 2021)
– To Kill A Mockingbird: Originally scheduled for Dec. 15-20, 2020. HTT "working to reschedule this engagement as soon as possible."
– Tootsie: Originally scheduled for July 27 – Aug. 1, 2021. To be moved to an alternate date to make way for Hamilton.
The trust says that tickets for Summer, Hamilton, and Tootsie were only available for now as part of season subscription packages, and subscribers will be hearing soon about their options.