If you're heading to Sunday's Pride Parade in Minneapolis, your best bet would be to take public transportation or a bike to avoid a traffic headache.
That's because a series of road closures is likely to make the traffic situation in and around downtown Minneapolis a bit of a nightmare.
The biggest of these closures started Friday night, when I-35W shut down both directions between I-94 and Hwy. 280 as part of the ongoing reconstruction project.
Crews are taking down the 5th Street pedestrian bridge over I-35W over the weekend.
Then when you get into downtown, the ongoing construction on Hennepin and Marquette are exacerbated by the road closures going into place for the Pride Parade itself.
Closures will start from as early as 7 a.m., clearing space for parade preparations and for the TC Pride Rainbow Run that starts at 9:30 a.m.
The Parade itself starts at 11 a.m., starting at Third Street South and following Second Avenue South to Loring Park. You can find more information about Pride events here.
Here's a look at the closures, courtesy of the City of Minneapolis:
Closed from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Third Street South from First Avenue North to Portland Avenue. Cross traffic will be allowed at all times.
Closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Second Avenue South from Third Street South to 12 Street South.
(Cross traffic will be allowed as normal until 9 a.m. After that time, traffic will be allowed to cross at Washington Avenue, Sixth Street, Seventh Street, 10th Street, and 11th Street.)
- Grant Street from 12th Street South to Loring Park.
- LaSalle Ave S between Grant and 12 St S.
Closed from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Main Street is closed from Fifth Avenue Northeast to the Stone Arch Bridge.
- Portland Avenue is closed from West River Parkway to Second Street South.
- Second Street South is closed from Portland Avenue to Second Avenue South.
- Second Avenue South is closed from Second Street South to Washington Avenue.