The $239 million reconstruction project that's already caused a pain for travelers near the Interstate 94 and Interstate 35W corridor is about to get a lot worse.
Starting Friday at 10 p.m., MnDOT will shut down key roads going into downtown Minneapolis, including 5th Avenue, 11th Street and East Grant Street.
Additionally, motorists on 35W south looking to get into downtown Minneapolis won't be able to take 4th Avenue or 12th Street.
Today's Top Stories
So how in the heck is anyone supposed to get in and out of downtown Minneapolis? Here are some options for getting in.
- Use the detour that takes I-35W to 3rd Street
- Take I-394 east into downtown
- Take I-94 west to 4th and 7th Streets
- Take I-35W south to Washington Avenue
- Take Hiawatha Avenue to 7th Street
Options for getting out:
- Take 4th Street to I-35W
- Take 3rd Street to I-94 west or I-394 west
- Take Washington Avenue to I-35W
- Take 6th Street to I-94 east
- Take 8th Street to Hiawatha
But wait, there's more. These closures will begin at 10 p.m. Friday as well.
- I-94 will close from I-394 to I-35W until 5 a.m. Monday, June 11.
- The ramp from I-94 east to I-35W south will close until fall 2021.
- The ramp from I-35W north to 31st and Lake Street will close to general traffic at least until fall 2018.
- The ramp from 31st Street to I-35W south will close to general traffic at least until fall 2018.