As far as we know there's only one iconic Minnesota food that normally comes with a warning about not getting scalded by molten cheese.
Of course we're speaking of the Juicy Lucy, the cheeseburger that carries its cheese inside the burger.
Debating where to find Minnesota's best Lucy is a time-honored tradition that certainly won't stop just because of a new poll. Nonetheless, USA Today's 10Best is giving readers a chance to vote for their favorite Juicy Lucy.
Actually, 10Best has taken the liberty of narrowing the choices down to 20 nominees. You can cast a vote here once per day until the balloting stops at 11 a.m. on April 10.
A Minnesota original
But the popularity of this burger spread quickly and now many places have their own fans who think their preferred place makes the best ones.
You can see how the voting is shaping up on the leaderboard. Here's the list of nominees in the order of the standings on Wednesday evening:
- Casper & Runyon's Nook – St. Paul
- Matt's Bar – Minneapolis
- Peppers and Fries – Minneapolis
- Crooked Pint Ale House – multiple locations
- The Breeze Inn – Duluth
- Jersey's Bar and Grill – Inver Grove Heights
- B-52 Burgers and Brew – Inver Grove Heights
- Groveland Tap – St. Paul
- Blue Door Pub – St. Paul
- Uncle Franky's – Minneapolis
- 5-8 Club – Minneapolis
- Hell's Kitchen – Minneapolis
- Buffalo Tap – Savage
- Bennett's Chop and Railhouse – St. Paul
- Burger Moe's – St. Paul
- Newt's – Rochester
- The Cardinal Restaurant and Bar – Minneapolis
- Grumpy's Bar and Grill – Minneapolis
- Ray J's American Grill – Minneapolis
- Cadillac Ranch – Bloomington
10Best chose an iconic sandwich for every state and is in the middle of having readers vote on the best of each.
Their most recent batch of winners includes the best salmon sandwich in Washington state and the best reindeer sandwich in Alaska.