Skip to main content

Minnesota gives its stagnant film industry a $10M boost

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

The Minnesota Legislature put $10 million in a rebate program to help lure TV and movie-making crews to the state, the Star Tribune reports.

Lucinda Winter, the Minnesota Film and TV board’s executive director, told the newspaper that it's not enough to attract major blockbusters like "Hunger Games" or "Iron Man," but “it puts us back in the game to land small to midsize movies like ‘Magic Mike’ or ‘Silver Linings Playbook.’ ”

Oversight of the film board is also shifting from the Office of Tourism to the Department of Employment and Economic Development.

The Snowbate program started in 1997, but it was cut by Jesse Ventura in 2002 and then reinstated in 2006.

From 2007 to 2011, the film board paid out $4.6 million to film and video projects, but in return attracted $28 million in private spending in the state, according to the Star Tribune.

The Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board also approved an incentive program last year to entice filmmakers to shoot movies on the Iron Range.

Next Up

Carson McCoy

Charges: Man stole handgun from house, fired at motorcyclists from car

A chaotic scene that led to a police chase unfolded after an alleged burglary in Ham Lake.

Mounds view 7 - crime scene

BCA's Uniform Crime Report shows violent crime in MN spiked in 2021

The report details violent crime trends in the seven-county metro and Greater Minnesota.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 4.49.22 PM

Search for vulnerable man, 66, missing from Brooklyn Park

Alex Ramirez was last seen in the early hours of Thursday morning.

St. Cloud Times

St. Cloud Times writing staff hit by Gannett budget cuts

Mass layoffs were expected at Gannett-owned outlets across the country.

PoolScammerLawsuitAG

Pool company sued by AG for allegedly scamming homeowners out of $1M-plus

According to the lawsuit, 17 Minnesota homeowners were affected by this scam.

image

Late cancellation of music festival leaves bad blood in Two Harbors

The cancellation announcement says the promoter walked away from the gig after being harassed by some local residents.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 1.58.08 PM

Fatal crash shuts down southbound I-35 north of Twin Cities

A massive backup has built in wake of the fatal crash.

Christopher Keyes

Prolific speeder charged in crash that killed woman, 75, in Plymouth

The man has seven speeding tickets dating back to 2019.

minneapolis police

Hunt for suspect who broke into apartment, fatally stabbed man

The homicide is the 57th to happen this year in the city.

Related