The Minnesota Renaissance Festival is planning for its 50th anniversary season this fall, and it's hopeful the outdoor event will happen this fall even with the COVID-19 pandemic.
In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Mid-America Festivals, which runs the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, said it has changed the dates for the 2020 festival to Sept. 5-Oct. 4 (weekends and Labor Day) to "provide more time for health experts, scientists, state officials and all of us to monitor the spread and containment of COVID-19 in Minnesota."
The festival was previously scheduled to begin Aug. 22.
Festival organizers are having discussions with state officials regarding the 2020 season and have developed a draft preparedness plan as part of their efforts to initiate mitigation measures and protocols for the festival in order to keep people safe. The plan will be shared "in the near future."
Currently, outdoor events in Minnesota are limited to 250 people, but organizers are hopeful that by the time of the festival, Gov. Tim Walz will issue a new order allowing more people to be allowed to attend outdoor events.
"We will not engage in any activity that is contrary to Minnesota state directives and it is our belief and hope that the amount of people testing positive, the severity of the cases, and the advancements in treatment will trend in the correct direction in Minnesota," the post says.
In addition to announcing new dates for the 2020 season, Mid-America Festivals says it has extended its current lease and will remain at its current location in Shakopee through at least 2021. There were talks that the festival would move to Jordan for the 2021 season.