The Minnesota State Fair is little more than a month away and on Wednesday a bunch of new attractions were announced. Here's the quick spin on what you need to know.
It's a state-of-the-art kitchen facility that will allow top chefs to showcase presentations and cook in front of fairgoers. Best of all, it's free and will feature big time names like Andrew Zimmern (Aug. 24), Scott McGillivray (Aug. 24), and Sean Sherman & The Sioux Chef's Indigenous Food Lab (Aug. 31).
7 new rides
- "Downdraft" puts riders through a supersonic spin.
- "Haunted Castle Dark Ride" is the largest traveling haunted house ride in North America.
- "Rock Star" is a 360 degree thrill ride that spins 60 feet in the air.
- "Super Frisbee" is a 52-foot-high gondola that rotates and free falls.
- "Twin Flip" is said to provide high-flying spins within spins, in all directions.
- "Combination Carousel" is a kiddie ride that spins like a merry-go-round.
- "Teacups" is located in the kid's section and is a shiny, calming ride.
Mental Health Awareness
Mental health awareness groups will be on hand at Dan Patch Park on Aug. 27 to host games, photo opportunities, trivia contests, giveaways and activities on mental health and wellness topics.
Pet Paviliions and Outdoor Demonstration Area
A 6,600-square-foot, open-air pavilion will be home to purebred dog breed booths and the Pet Surgery Suite. Yes, you can go watch pets get spayed and neutered. It'll also feature police K-9 demonstrations.
New bathroom building
54 toilets, 32 sinks, 22 urinals, 18 family restrooms, eight drinking fountains, and four water bottle refill stations. It's located on the south side of Murphy Avenue between Underwood and Cooper Streets.
Food, craft beer and entertainment in the newly constructed building located in the former Pet Center building on the north side of the fairgrounds. It's an aircraft-themed restaurant with a menu featuring flights of mini burgers (sliders), smoked turkey legs, smoked brisket sandwiches, burgers, bacon-wrapped pork belly, kid meals, and chicken-and-waffle ice cream splits topped with candied bacon.
New park & ride locations
This will be great for fairgoers coming from the north, with two new park & ride lots in Arden Hills and White Bear Township. Specific locations are Calvary Church, 4604 Greenhaven Dr. White Bear Township, 55127, and North Heights Lutheran Church, 1700 Highway 96 West, Arden Hills, 55112.
Glimpse at how vendors prepare foods
Three popular State Fair food vendors will allow behind-the-scenes looks at how they prepare their foods. The three allowing this inside view are Minnesota Farmers Union, Pronto Pups, and Sweet Martha's Cookie Jar.
Other notable new attractions
– Eco Experience booth that features the latest in everyday ways to go green. Located in the Progress Center building.
– More daily horse shows that are free to fairgoers. Daily schedules will be available at mnstatefair.org in August.
– Virtual reality video experience with the Experimental Aircraft Association. This is also free with fair admission.