Publish date:

MN's favorite New Orleans Saint is back in town, and doing more good

Remember what Thomas Morstead did after the playoff game last year?
Author:

Thomas Morstead is among the best punters in the NFL and even though he plays for the hated New Orleans Saints, he's one of the good guys. 

Minnesotans' appreciation for Morstead began last season, just moments after Case Keenum and Stefon Diggs created the Minneapolis Miracle in a playoff victory over the Saints.

While most of his teammates walked back to the locker room, Morstead was the first player back on the field, lining up as a defensive player so the Vikings could snap the ball for the mandatory extra point. 

Vikings fans noticed the act of sportsmanship, which Morstead displayed despite suffering a painful cartilage tear in his ribs earlier in the game. Generous Vikings fans showed their appreciation for Morstead's sportsmanship by donating to his charity, "What You Give Will Grow. "

The punter realized the surge in donations was coming from Minnesota, and the total ultimately grew to more than $200,000, which Morstead paid forward, hand-delivering a check for $221,143 to Children’s Minnesota’s Child Life program, doing so during Super Bowl week. 

Now back in town as the Saints take on the Vikings on Sunday, Morstead is teaming up with Vikings return specialist/cornerback Marcus Sherels, who just so happens to be the guy Morstead collided with when he injured his ribs in last year's playoff game, to make the holiday season brighter for families that have fallen on hard times. 

They're raising funds for Best Christmas Ever, a nonprofit that surprises families on Christmas, and whomever's team wins the game on Sunday night will be the bigger beneficiary. 

The winning team's market will receive 60 percent of all money raised while the remaining 40 percent will go to Best Christmas Ever in the losing team's market. 

"After learning about Best Christmas Ever, a Minnesota-based non-profit, we really wanted to bring the initiative to New Orleans and give six families a holiday season to remember," says Morstead. 

"We’re excited to work with Marcus and the Vikings to support the program in Minnesota and in Louisiana during Vikings/Saints game week."

As of Friday afternoon, the effort had raised close to $16,000 for Best Christmas Ever. 

Next Up

teacher, coronavirus, covid-19, school, classroom

Minnesota reports COVID deaths of teen student, 2 school staffers

Cases in schools rose again in the past week, though there are signs cases may have peaked.

Proctor football

Investigation of alleged misconduct on Proctor football team nears conclusion

The football team canceled its season and the coach subsequently resigned.

minnesota house of representatives

Minnesota House will continue hybrid operations, require masks in 2022

The Speaker of the House announced the plans in a memo to members and staff on Thursday.

autumn larson settlement

Minneapolis committee OKs $45K payout to woman shot by police during riots

She was hit in the face with a "less lethal" projectile while she was in her car trying to leave the protest.

SNOW

What NOAA's winter outlook says about Minnesota

A moderate La Niña winter is expected.

Merwin Liquors

Liquor store that has become shooting hotspot seeking to move

The area surrounding Merwin's Liquors has been beset by crime in recent years.

Mohamed Noor

Ex-Minneapolis cop Noor resentenced to 57 months in prison

Justine Ruszczyk Damond's fiancé said he forgives Noor.

Anthony Edwards

Anthony Edwards was right: he is Houdini and his bag of tricks is incredible

Edwards put the entire league on notice with his season-opening performance.

Bob Fletcher

New 'public service' charter school backed by Ramsey Co. Sheriff to open

Efforts to open the school were spearheaded in part by Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher.

Related

Marcus Sherels

Report: Marcus Sherels agrees to contract with Saints

Sherels has spent his entire life playing football for Minnesota teams.

Michael Thomas Saints

Sitting at home, Saints' Michael Thomas appears to mock Vikings

At least the Vikings can say they made it further than Thomas' Saints.

Saints running back Alvin Kamara really doesn't like the Vikings

Kamara is still angry about the Minneapolis Miracle.

Vikings, Saints to renew bitter playoff rivalry

They'll meet at the Superdome on wild-card weekend.

Karma? Vikings fans erupt with joy in Saints' misery

Vikings fans love celebrating the Saints' heartbreak.