Skip to main content

More restaurants have closed amid the coronavirus pandemic

Add this Apple Valley and St. Paul restaurant to the list of closures.

It appears a few more restaurants have permanently closed since the COVID-19 pandemic hit Minnesota. 

Cleveland Wok in St. Paul posted on Facebook on May 13 that it has permanently closed. 

"Thank you everyone who has reached out to us for the past couple months in regards to our restaurant. We really appreciate all your concerns about the restaurant and our well beings. Due to unforeseen circumstances and the current world pandemic that we are living in, we have decided to permanently close the Cleveland Wok," the post said. 

"We want to thank everyone from the bottom of our hearts that has supported us for 20-plus years. It has been an awesome journey. Thank you."

According to the Pioneer Press, the owner said he decided to close the restaurant for good due to the fire that has kept the restaurant closed since February 2019 (he planned to reopen in March) and the uncertainty with the coronavirus pandemic. 

Meanwhile, social media posts indicate the Old Chicago in Apple Valley has closed for good. However, the restaurant chain's website does not indicate the store is permanently closed, only that the Minnesota locations have closed temporarily due to the coronavirus. A call to the store on Wednesday went unanswered. 

Old Chicago closed its St. Cloud location earlier this year after the franchise owner decided not to renew the lease, leaving the Apple Valley store and three others in Duluth, Eden Prairie and Roseville still in business in Minnesota.

Meanwhile, CraftWorks Holdings LLC, the parent company of Old Chicago, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in March, the Loveland Reporter-Herald said. The documents noted CraftWorks planned to close 37 of its 338 restaurants but did not list the restaurants that would be closed.

Bring Me The News contacted CraftWorks Holdings LLC, but has not heard back.

A raft of notable restaurants have announced their permanent closure following the restaurant and bar shutdown in March, with some saying that even when the stay-at-home order is lifted, there's no guarantee they'll be able to stay afloat if the virus is still prevalent.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic started, several Minnesota restaurants have closed. They include: 

  • Mission American Kitchen
  • Cheese Louise
  • Sleepy V’s
  • Egg & I
  • El Burrito Mercado Mpls
  • Izzy’s St. Paul
  • 4 Bells
  • Bachelor Farmer
  • NE Arcade
  • Muddy Waters
  • Bar Luchador

Gov. Tim Walz closed restaurants and bars to dine-in customers in mid-March. They may be allowed to reopen to customers on June 1.

Next Up

Flickr - police lights squad siren - Edward Kimmel

Charges: Driver threw 'large rocks' at police car during highway chase

Authorities say the suspect had used methamphetamine earlier in the day.

covid, coronavirus

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Friday, January 21

Hospitalizations dipped from 1,629 Jan. 19 to 1,571 on Jan. 20.

minneapolis police

Shooting near University of Minnesota kills 1, injures 2

The victims were all in a parked car when the shooting happened, police said.

canada bodies found 2

Florida man charged with human smuggling after 4 die, 5 rescued near border

A baby and an teenage boy were among those who were found dead feet from the U.S. border.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 8.42.40 AM

Man shot while driving on I-394 in St. Louis Park

The driver and his bullet-riddled SUV wound up outside the DoubleTree hotel in St. Louis Park.

Mall of America

Mall of America to celebrate 30 years with events, giveaways throughout 2022

The festivities will kick off Friday with a '90s-themed drag show.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.29.00 AM

Victim of 1994 Michigan cold case murder ID'd as missing Minnesotan

Shelley Rae Kephart went missing from Hennepin County more than 28 years ago.

Mike Zimmer

Coller: Did the Vikings wait too long to fire Zimmer, Spielman?

This wasn’t just ugly. This was ugly, ugly.

walz flanagan lorie shaull flickr

Gov. proposes 'Walz Checks' for most Minnesotans

The governor wants to use $700 million of the state's surplus to fund the payments.

Hutch crash booking photo

Walz, Flanagan call on Hennepin Co. sheriff to resign

"I would say that it is time for him to resign," the Lt. Gov. said.

line 3 enbridge portage lake hubbard county mn tony webster flickr

Months after missing deadline, Enbridge says Line 3 aquifer breach is fixed

The company told Bring Me The News it "successfully stopped the flow of groundwater" at the site.

Related

Bonfire

All 5 Minnesota Bonfire restaurants close permanently

The restaurant industry has been closed to dine-in customers since mid-March.

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 2.51.00 PM

Some restaurants choose to delay opening patio amid unrest in Twin Cities

Today is the first day restaurants can reopen their patios amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

508 minneapolis

Another Minneapolis restaurant is closing for good due to COVID-19

The restaurant said it "simply cannot survive the business restrictions which stemmed from the COVID-19 pandemic."

Joe Senser's

2 more popular Twin Cities restaurants permanently close

The pandemic continues to apply a firm grip on the restaurant industry.

mike's western cafe-duluth

After 38 years, Duluth diner closes for good due to COVID-19

Mike's Western Cafe announced the closure with "heavy hearts."

billy's on grand

Coronavirus: Billy's on Grand will close for winter

The restaurant is among a growing list of eateries to close for the winter months.