North Dakota, following in the frosty footsteps of its very successful neighbors to the east, has revealed the winners of its first ever "Name-A-Plow" contest.
The North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) took suggestions from the public last month, then had employees whittle down the list to eight winners. The agency revealed the selected names Tuesday. They are:
- Darth Blader (Bismarck District)
- Blizzard Wizard (Devils Lake District)
- Plowasaurus Rex (Dickinson District)
- Below Zero Hero (Fargo District)
- Storming Norman (Grand Forks District)
- Truck Norris (Minot District)
- Orange Thunder (Valley City District)
- Plowzilla (Williston District)
Maybe more importantly, how do they stack up to the winners of Minnesota's inaugural snowplow naming contest? The states have one overlap, the Star Wars-inspired "Darth Blader."
Here they are, side-by-side, for your judging convenience.
Ope, Just Gonna Plow Right Past Ya
Duck Duck Orange Truck
Below Zero Hero
Snowbi Wan Kenobi
F. Salt Fitzgerald
The Truck Formerly Known As Plow
The Minnesota Department of Transportation brought back its "Name The Snowplow" contest this winter. It took submissions through Dec. 15. People were able to submit up to three names — last year's winners won't be considered, and no political references. You can more information here.