If you were one of the many who joined the Instant Pot Cult this Black Friday, you’re in luck – this is the perfect recipe to get yourself acquainted with its functions.
But before we dive into the recipe, it is important that we clarify a few things.
First, the Instant Pot is a brand of electric pressure cookers. Its cult status has made it so everyone calls their pressure cooker, regardless of its actual brand, an Instant Pot. Even I am guilty of this. For full disclosure, my electric pressure cooker is a Cuisinart. It works the exact same was as an Instant Pot, just without the Facebook fan page.
The Instant Pot is the kitchen appliance that launched a thousand blogs, truly. There are so many websites dedicated specifically to recipes that only work with an electric pressure cooker. Things I would never think of, like hard-boiled eggs, are made effortlessly and the best news for you? Someone else has already failed at making it, leaving you with an easy to follow recipe – like the one below!
Buffalo chicken chili is the perfect cold-weather game day food. The flavors you love from your favorite bar without having to leave the comfort of your home. What I love about this chili is that when it comes to garnishes, the possibilities are endless.
Crispy bacon, creamy blue cheese crumbles, croutons, scallions and more all take this dish to the next level. And if you are someone who likes to batch cook, this is the perfect recipe to make on a chili Sunday afternoon and use the leftovers to fill up your freezer.
Buffalo Chicken Chili
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- ½ cup buffalo sauce (Suggested: Frank’s Red Hot)
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 colorful peppers, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 x 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 15 oz. can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- ½ tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
This recipe makes a very hearty, thick chili. If you want more liquid, simply add ½ cup chicken or veggie broth.
Build a chili that fits your dietary needs and personal preferences! Use the suggestions I provided or build your own with different veggies & beans.
Instant Pot Directions
– Using the sauté function on your electric pressure cooker, cook sweet onion and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
– While the onion and garlic are cooking, thoroughly mix the ground chicken and buffalo sauce in a medium bowl. Add generous amount of salt & pepper.
– Add chicken to Instant Pot/pressure cooker and start to brown, breaking up chicken into pieces.
– Let chicken brown for 2 to 3 minutes, this is to give the meat some texture; it will continue to cook during the pressurizing process.
– Add remaining ingredients: carrots, peppers, celery, beans, tomatoes and spices. Add salt and pepper to taste.
– Seal pot and cook on high for 4 minutes.
– Once the 4 minutes is up, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes.
– After the chili has finished cooking, use a spatula to break up any remaining pieces of ground chicken.
– Serve hot.