Sturgis Motorcycle Rally will go on as scheduled this August

The annual event attracts hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists every year.
Author:
Publish date:

The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which attracts hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists from across the country, is a go in South Dakota this summer.

The Sturgis City Council voted Monday to allow the 80th annual rally from Aug. 7-16, with modifications to help protect residents and visitors from COVID-19, Sturgis Mayor Mark Carstensen said in a Facebook video update on Tuesday.

The city typically hosts events within the rally that attract thousands of people gathering close together, such as the opening ceremony and the B-1 Bomber flyover. Those won't happen this year, the mayor said.

Sturgis is recommending vendors following Centers of Disease Control and Prevention guidelines and it will be setting up hand sanitizing stations and other sanitizing protocols in the area.

The mayor also stressed personal responsibility – wash your hands, stay home if you're sick or immunocompromised – to help prevent the spread of the virus. 

Additional protocols for the event are expected to be announced in the days and weeks to come, Carstensen said.

Next Up

Related

Motorcycle fatalities spike in August

More than 40 motorcycle riders have lost their lives on Minnesota roads so far this year, compared to 29 at this time last year. The Department of Public Safety says at least 11 motorcyclists died in August -- the deadliest month of the year. Officials note ridership is at record levels because of the cost of fuel.