Surly Brewing is releasing a bunch of experimental new beers this summer and one of them is straight out of a Surly from an alternate dimension.
The Twin Cities brewer will release 8 beers as part of its BC Small Batch series, which will be brewed by the innovators at its Brooklyn Center brewery.
The May release is called "Inside the Upside Down," which is an imperial kettle sour ale with hints of strawberry and raspberry.
"Take everything you expect from a Surly beer and turn it upside down," said Surly's Tiffany Jackson. "A fruit-forward kettle sour may not be what you expect from us, but stranger things have happened."
No telling if Surly's attempt at a fruity beer will be as popular as the Netflix series Stranger Things, but it's certainly deserving of a similar label.
Inside the Upside Down, also available at Surly's Beer Hall beginning May 9, is just the first of seven new experimental brews Surly plans to release this year as part of its BC Small Batch series brewed at its Brooklyn Center location.
A limited amount of each beer will be available in 4-pack tallboys cans at liquor stores, and at its beer hall.
Here's what's coming each month, in order, from May through December.
- "Inside the Upside Down" – Imperial kettle sour ale with strawberry and raspberry.
- "Zest Crazed" – American pale ale with grapefruit, lemon.
- "Stunner" – tropical session ale.
- "Frisson" – champagne-inspired black currant lager.
- "3DH" – triple IPA.
- "Damien" – American black ale.
- "Furious Black" – black IPA with roasted, citrus, caramel hints.
- "Grindcore" – espresso milk stout yet to be named.