The Walker Art Center and 89.3 The Current have announced that their annual summer music festival, Rock the Garden, will not go ahead in 2021.
The announcement was made Wednesday, with the organizations saying the decision was taken due to "uncertainties around planning for a large-scale outside event."
This year's Rock the Garden was also canceled as COVID-19 started to spread in the spring, and while some of Minnesota's COVID-19 restrictions have been loosened by Gov. Tim Walz since then, the ban on large gatherings of more than 250 people remains in place.
"This is a very difficult decision for both organizations," said Mary Ceruti, Executive Director of the Walker. "Although it may seem premature, the bulk of the planning, including booking bands on tour and securing permits, needs to be completed by the New Year. It is not feasible to do this work given the current situation with COVID-19. We are disappointed to not be able to share the event with our community next summer."
"Rock the Garden takes months of planning, and we have a talented team of event experts who know what is required to make it a success," said The Current's managing director David Safar. "A huge component of that is the safe and enjoyable gathering of our community. With so many unknowns related to COVID-19 in the coming months, we couldn’t guarantee a safe experience for our community members at this point. That was our deciding factor.
"The only way we get through this challenging time is together, and we are confident that we will Rock the Garden together again."