Publish date:

Twin Cities family seeking help after son dies of CO poisoning

He was a DREAMer and health care worker who had graduated college in December.

With a network of friends who thought the world of him and the drive to match, there was every reason to believe Gerson Bello would live a long, rich and full life.

Instead, the 23-year-old's funeral will be held this weekend, following his very sudden and tragic death from carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Due to the most unexpected nature of his passing, his family is asking the public for help covering the funeral expenses through a GoFundMe page set up on their behalf. 

The effort is seeking $7,000 for the Bello family, and as of this writing, has raised $950 of that goal. 

"This ambitious young man was dedicated to his family, friends, and following Christ," the GoFundMe says. "Peers describe him as a role model and an overall good man. Gerson had a bright career and future ahead of him."

Bello died of CO poisoning on Sunday, Shauna Kaylene Wimmer Valdez, a friend of the family who set up the GoFundMe on Monday, tells Bring Me The News.

She says Gerson was warming his car in the garage of his family's apartment with the doors closed, and was somehow unable to open the garage from the inside — eventually succumbing to the toxic fumes emitting from the car. 

A DREAMer born in Mexico City, Bello was a graduate of Irondale High School in New Brighton, where he lived at the time of his death. He had graduated from Metropolitan State University in December.

He was also well into a career in health care, having begun working as a patient access specialist at Hennepin County Medical Center in 2015, his GoFundMe says.

His funeral is scheduled for this Saturday. 

About CO poisoning

More than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning (not linked to fires) every year, the CDC says. Another 20,000 visit the ER because of CO and over 4,000 end up hospitalized. 

The gas is found in fumes produced when you burn fuel, from cars, trucks, generator engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges and furnaces. (You can read more about the symptoms here.)

CO poisoning is especially prevalent in the winter months, when use of heating appliances spikes dramatically.

Where garages are concerned, University of Iowa Health Care says you should "never leave (your car) running in the confined space of a garage"; instead, they recommend backing it outside if you want to let it warm up. 

They also say you should never run lawnmowers, snowblowers, or other gas-powered engines in garages and other confined areas

The Minnesota Department of Health recommends installing CO alarms (and maintaining them afterwards) in all households.

Next Up

Sen Mark Koran crop

Lawmaker deletes post encouraging donations to family charged in Capitol riot

Sen. Mark Koran, in his Facebook post, described them as "a good family!"

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 11.04.26 AM

Mother charged with beating daughter to death ruled incompetent

The case against the Woodbury woman will be put "indeterminately suspended."

msp airport

Employers at MSP Airport seeking to hire 700-plus workers

Employers include restaurants, retail, hotel, airlines and security.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 9.38.43 PM

Driver who died in Hwy. 100 embankment rollover is identified

The 30-year-old was killed in the Saturday evening crash.

best buy

Best Buy launches another pre-Black Friday sale, the Early Deals Event

This latest round of discounts is available through Oct. 31.

dave chappelle

Dave Chappelle to perform at Target Center in Minneapolis

The comedian is screen his new documentary at part of the 10-city tour.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 7.06.08 AM

U.S. soccer hero Megan Rapinoe signs her mural at St. Paul bar

Rapinoe paid a visit to The Black Hart ahead of a match at Allianz Field Tuesday.

hospital, emergency room

1 dead after married couple crash UTV in southern Minnesota

The crash happened just after 11 p.m. Saturday.

hmong college prep academy

St. Paul school superintendent offers to quit after $4.3M lost in hedge fund

The Office of the State Auditor recently released its investigative report on the school.

Related

Kyle Imdieke of Osakis, Minnesota.

Community rallies around family of MN coach who died suddenly

Kyle Imdieke was a beloved educator at Osakis High School.

Jenna Fish

Family's warning after teen's tragic death from CO poisoning at Thanksgiving

A 17-year-old girl from Delano died after Thanksgiving due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Lt. Kent M. Vnuk

Hennepin Co. sheriff's lieutenant mourned after unexpected death

"Lt. Kent Vnuk was a colleague, leader, and most importantly a friend to so many."

Renowned Minnesota pottery icon Warren MacKenzie dies at 94

He passed away in his Stillwater home on New Year's Eve.

Ashli K. Johnson

Family seeks help after mother of 4 gunned down in St. Paul

Ashli K. Johnson's death is still under investigation.

Walter Straka, World War II veteran.

Minnesota WWII veteran dies at 101 on Independence Day

Walter Straka was the state's last living Bataan Death March survivor.

Jacobson family, Washington County

Community pitches in to help family following girl's tragic accidental death

Camilla C. Jacobson was the daughter of a Washington Co. sheriff's sergeant.

Goldy Gopher

Artist responsible for Goldy Gopher dies after long illness

Steve Wanvig gave the mascot the look it has today.