Skip to main content

1,000 take part in Susan G. Komen 3-Day walk in Twin Cities

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

This embed is invalid

More than 1,000 people took part in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day walk over the weekend in the Twin Cities to help raise money for breast cancer research, WCCO Radio reports.

The walk began Friday at the Southdale Center in Edina and wrapped up Sunday at the Minnesota State Capitol.

Participants walked 60 miles during the Friday-Sunday event, which raised an estimated $2 million.

An estimated 75 percent of the 3-Day walk proceeds help fund Komen's research, while the other 25 percent benefit local outreach programs.

The Star Tribune has a photo gallery from this weekend's event, and the Twin Cities 3-Day Facebook page has survivor profiles and photos as well.

The 3-Day blog says this year's event honored participant George Nummer with the Twin Cities Susan G. Komen 3-Day Milestone Award. The event marked Nummer's 11th year of involvement in the Komen 3-Day and his 32nd event overall.

Nummer has reportedly raised $81,000 to fight breast cancer, and in addition to the Twin Cities, he has participated in walks in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Detroit, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington, D.C.

The next Komen 3-Day is set to take place in Philadelphia Sept. 12-14.

Registration for the 2015 Twin Cities Susan G. Komen 3-Day walk begins Wednesday. Next year's event is set for Aug. 21-23.

This embed is invalid

Next Up

Bar beer

Study: Excessive drinking cost Minnesotans almost $8 billion in 2019

The study was published by the Minnesota Department of Health Thursday.

Disney+

Price of Disney+ is going up, unless you want ads

The ad-free version of Disney+ will increase from $7.99 per month to $10.99 per month, effective Dec. 8.

SuspectsWantedMOAShooting

Mall of America shooting suspects arrested in Chicago

The two suspects were spotted leaving a barber shop.

Flickr - minneapolis police officer close-up belt camera - Tony Webster

Walz: Increased state law enforcement presence to stay in Twin Cities

A multi-agency effort to curb crime will go on until further notice.

SuspectsWantedMOAShooting

Bloomington PD to provide update on Mall of America shooting investigation

There's unconfirmed reports the suspected gunman and an accomplice have been arrested.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 3.14.27 PM

Motorcyclist found dead behind guardrail 6 hours after crash

The crash happened before sunset Wednesday, but no one called 911.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 2.49.44 PM

Strike vote set for 15,000 Minnesota nurses

If the nurses walk off the job, Minnesota would be home to one of the largest nurses strikes in U.S. history.

DSC_8611

Iowa Gov. asks court to lift injunction on 'heartbeat' abortion ban

A court challenge seeks to revive Iowa's abortion ban.

zipper merge, construction

6 transportation projects in Minnesota get $100M federal funding

The projects extend to areas all across the state.

covid

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for the week ending Tuesday, August 9

The number of cases in the latest reporting period dropped compared to the previous week's update.

Related

Donations drop for Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Minnesota

Last year, more than 42,000 individuals signed up for the 5k walk or run event., but race officials tell KARE 11 registration is down about 12 percent so far this year.