Skip to main content

$1M lotto winner drove from MN to NY and back without realizing he won

The winning ticket sat in his wallet for days.

For one week, Greg Anderson had a Powerball ticket in his wallet, as he drove to and from New York in his truck, that would make him a millionaire.

And he didn't even realize it.

Anderson, a truck driver from Hermantown, bought a couple of Powerball tickets from a Duluth Holiday back on March 18, at the start of his weeklong work trip out east. That same night, he matched the first five numbers in the drawing, meaning he was in line for $1 million, the Minnesota Lottery said in an email release.

Only he didn't realize it. Not that night, not the next day, or even the one after that.

It was only when he got back home from New York a week later that he realized a $1 million ticket had been on him the entire work trip.

He told the Minnesota Lottery he plans to use the money for retirement, calling himself a "saver by nature."

The Duluth store that sold the winning ticket (the Holiday at 5430 Grand Ave.) will get a $5,000 bonus.

Buy a ticket but not sure if you won? Check unclaimed prizes

Right now, there are people who have won hundreds of thousands of dollars through the Minnesota Lottery – but haven't claimed their prize.

You have a year to claim any ticketed lottery prize. Otherwise it expires and you lose out on the money.

So go to the unclaimed prizes section of the Minnesota Lottery website to see when winning tickets were sold, and where. And if you might have bought one, but don't realize it.

Where does lotto money go?

About 25 percent of money people spend on Minnesota Lottery games goes back to the state.

Of that money, about 40 percent of it is directed to environmental protection efforts, while the remaining 60 percent goes to the state general fund. That money can be used for a number of different things.

The Minnesota Lottery says, up to this point, the state has gotten more than $2.6 billion through lottery spending.

Next Up


80 mph winds, large hail possible with severe storms in MN

A severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for much of the state until 3 a.m. Saturday.


30 people evacuated as flooding hammers small town

It's assumed that at least eight inches of rain fell in Randall, with more heavy rain expected Friday night into Saturday morning.

Intersection in Rochester.

Boy dies in motorcycle crash in Rochester

Police are investigating as of Friday afternoon.

Tab2FileL (13)

Numerous severe storms likely in Minnesota Friday night

Watch the video for the full details with meteorologist Sven Sundgaard.

court room

Teen pleads guilty in shooting death of 15-year-old girl in Columbia Heights

Damico Jamal-Tokyo High will receive a sentence in juvenile court, along with an adult prison sentence.

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.00.01 AM

Walz wants to use surplus money to send direct payments to Minnesotans

It's a renewed effort from a previous proposal from Walz and Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan's supplemental budget in January.

Ron Johnson

Jan. 6 committee says aide for WI senator tried to give fake elector info to Pence

The attempt was discovered through text messages in the ongoing public hearing held by the Jan. 6 select committee.

Stock U of M sign

Minnesota state colleges boosting tuition again by 3.5%

The Minnesota State system's Board of Trustee's approved the increase Wednesday.


Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Friday, June 24

The next daily update will be provided Monday, June 27.

Pro choice rally

Walz, Jensen react to historic Supreme Court reversal of Roe v. Wade

After voting to overturn Roe, conservative Justice Clarence Thomas has hinted contraception and same-sex marriage protections should follow.

16362 County Rd 81, Maple Grove, Minnesota - October 2021 (4)

2-year-old killed in crash on County Road 81 in Maple Grove

The crash occurred Thursday evening on County Road 81.

police tape

BCA issues new details about St. Michael standoff, shooting

New details say a St. Cloud police officer struck the suspect with gunfire.


Update: 2 people who won $1M from Powerball claimed their prizes this week

The odds of winning $1 million from Powerball are 1 in 11,688,053.

We're getting more flights from MSP to San Francisco

Tickets for the new, twice-a-day flights are on sale now.

Someone bought a $1 million winning Powerball ticket in Minnesota

The ticket matched all five white numbers from Wednesday's Powerball drawing.

Wells Fargo says $110M should make up for the fake account scandal

The phony account scandal led to thousands of Wells Fargo workers being fired.

How you doin' (your taxes)?

Is filing your taxes annoying? Yes. But the sooner you get it done, the sooner you can forget about it.

MNsure is pretty popular so far – even with the worries about its future

There are concerns about the future of MNsure. That hasn't stopped people from signing up.