2 children severely burned after knocking over gas can as they played in shed

The children are aged 5 and 6.
Author:
Publish date:

Two young children have suffered severe burns after a fire broke out as they played in a shed on Saturday evening.

The blaze was reported off of Hwy. 2 in Culver Township, St. Louis County, at 8:05 p.m. on Saturday.

Officers arrived to find two children, aged 5 and 6, with severe burns to their body, with an ambulance then arriving and taking them both to a local hospital.

Investigators learned that the pair had been playing in the shed when they tipped over a gas can, spilling gasoline onto the floor.

They then tried to clean up the gas using an electric "Shop Vac" that ignited in flames, causing the children's clothing to catch fire as well.

The children suffered 2nd degree burns to 20 percent of their bodies, with both currently being treated in the hospital.

It's unknown at this stage how much damage was done to the property.

Sign up: Subscribe to our daily newsletters.

In the event of a gasoline spill on a non-carpeted surface, WikiHow recommends using an absorbing agent such as cat litter, T.S.P. (trisodium phosphate), sawdust, sand, straw oven dirt.

You should also erect barriers, using something like a towel, a piece of lumber or heavy boxes, to prevent the spill from reaching any electrical equipment or objects that give off heat.

Next Up

coronavirus, covid-19

Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Wednesday, January 20

The 111 ICU patients is the fewest in Minnesota since there were 109 COVID patients in intensive care on Oct. 1.

Klobuchar

Here's what Amy Klobuchar said at Joe Biden's inauguration

The Minnesota senator was one of the leader organizers of the inauguration.

covid-19, vaccine

All of this week's COVID vaccine pilot program appointments are filled

Nearly 6,000 Minnesotans who are 65 and older registered for appointments between noon Tuesday and Wednesday morning.

Lane kueng thao chauvin

Osterholm affidavit ahead of George Floyd trial warns of COVID worsening in March

Prosecutors want to delay the Chauvin trial due to a public health threat.

WCCO-AM's Sheletta Brundidge talks with Lil Nas X

830-WCCO host calls for Dave Lee's replacement to be person of color

WCCO-AM has not had a person of color as a weekday daytime host in its history.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 8.57.50 AM

Harmful grass fly larvae found in shipment to International Falls

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials safeguarded the shipment until the threat could be mitigated.

Keith Ellison

Minnesota high schoolers will be reimbursed for canceled European trips

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison announced a settlement with the travel company Friday.

Donald Trump

Trump pardons Minnesota man convicted on drug charge in 1992

John Harold Wall was among the 143 people granted clemency in one of Trump's final acts as president.

Lyn 65

9 businesses in Richfield affected by strip-mall redevelopment plans

Affected businesses may be eligible for grants that would help keep them in Richfield.

CBP heater

More than $260K in fake heaters seized at Minnesota border

The 780 infrared zone heaters were found in a rail car bound for Ranier, Minnesota.

Ian Cole

Wild trade Greg Pateryn to Avalanche for Ian Cole

Cole won a pair of Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh and is a former first-round pick.

Related

Fridley Walmart

2 children burned after vehicles catch fire at Walmart in Fridley

The fire quickly spread from vehicle-to-vehicle around 7:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Frazee Fire Department

Man severely burned, 2 dogs die in west-central MN fire

The fire was reported just after 8:20 p.m. Monday.

Man dies after being severely burned in grass fire

The fire happened near a lake northeast of Sauk Centre.

Man sets fire to cabin, argues with parents, assaults deputy

The deputy required hospital treatment after the assault.

Shed loaded with valuables destroyed by fire in central MN

The shed was filled with outdoor gear and equipment.

firefighter-920032_1280

Off-duty volunteer firefighter saves double amputee from house fire

The 38-year-old was on his way to work when he saw the flames.

Barn burns after farmer accidentally sparks fire as he cleared snow

Fortunately, he was able to get the livestock out of the barn in time.

grass fire

Grass fire erupts after boys use gasoline to burn pallet

Heavy smoke could be seen from several miles away.