Skip to main content

3 young children released from hospital following deadly CO leak

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Three young children who were hospitalized following a deadly carbon monoxide leak in a Blanchard, North Dakota, home have been released from the hospital.

Four people were hospitalized and four others died when an improperly vented water heater caused a carbon monoxide leak in the home Sunday – the propane-fueled tankless water heater was being used to fill a large swimming pool in the backyard, Capt. Tony Ernst of the Traill County Sheriff's Office told Forum News Service.

"They got together for a family gathering, they were barbecuing, grilling out, having fun with kids in the yard," Michelle Knutson, sister and aunt of the victims, told Valley News Live.

Ross Matejcek, 53, who owned the home, lived their with his girlfriend, Bonnie Fisher, 45, and her son, Ricky Fisher, 27, the Grand Forks Herald says. Bonnie Fisher's daughter, Margaret "Megan" Fisher, 24, and her four young children, were also at the home at the time of the leak.

"They saw an animal in the basement that was laying unconscious and from what I understand everyone who went down there did not make it out," Knutson told Valley News Live.

Found dead inside the home were Matejcek, Ricky Fisher, Margaret Fisher, and her 6-year-old son Jabin Newmes. Bonnie Fisher and the three other children – ages 4, 2 and 8 months – were hospitalized.

The children were released from the hospital Tuesday afternoon. Bonnie Fisher is listed in good condition.

One other person was in the home, but was unaffected by the leak, reports note. Several officers who responded to the incident got sick from the leak as well, WDAY says.

'Trying to get through it'

Family and friends of the family are struggling to cope with what happened Sunday night.

"We're trying to get through it. It's tough, very tough," Billy Knutson, Bonnie Fisher's brother, told Forum News Service.

He told the publication family members have volunteered to help care for Margaret Fisher's surviving children. Currently they are in the care of county services and the family is working with the county to get temporary custody, reports note.

"Megan loved her horses, loved her babies more than life itself," Michelle Knutson told Valley News Live. "Ricky was a motor enthusiast, like the rest of my family. He was giving rides to the kids that day. Jabin is a sweet little boy. He brought purple flowers to his grandma for the barbecue. A very thoughtful little boy."

People who know the Fisher family have set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for funeral costs. In 23 hours, the page had raised $1,445 of its $2,500 goal.

Memorial funds have also been set up through Choice Financial and Citizens Community Credit Union, the Grand Forks Herald reports.

A memorial service for Matejcek is set for Friday, according to his obituary. Funeral arrangements for the other victims haven't been announced.

Carbon monoxide dangers

According to the Minnesota Department of Health, carbon monoxide poisoning is of grave concern because it is an odorless, colorless gas that can’t be detected by human senses and often emits from faulty furnaces, heaters and other appliances.

Poisonings are most prevalent during the winter months, when such heaters are used frequently.

Earlier this year, state officials issued a reminder about carbon monoxide dangers following a rash of deaths, urging residents to purchase carbon monoxide detectors for their homes.

The Star Tribune reported carbon monoxide deaths have been going up in recent years, with 22 deaths in 2014 – a slight jump over the 18 fatalities in 2013.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 2.21.45 PM

92-year-old driver killed in rural Scott County crash

The crash happened around 12:30 p.m. Thursday.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 7.29.06 AM

Big-time rain totals flood Highway 10 in central Minnesota

More rain and storms are expected Friday and Saturday morning.

image

Charges: Driver had just left local bar before deadly Shakopee crash

Witnesses said they were unable to help the 19-year-old Eden Prairie man who died in the crash after becoming trapped.

Chet Holmgren

Thunder selects Chet Holmgren 2nd overall in NBA Draft

The Minneapolis native becomes the highest-drafted Minnesotan in NBA history.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 2.21.45 PM

One airlifted after crash on rural Scott County highway

The State Patrol shut down Highway 282 in both directions Thursday afternoon.

Flickr - police lights squad siren - Edward Kimmel

Police investigating after two men found dead in Maple Grove

Few details are known about the investigation.

12-web-or-mls-12 Dining room

Gallery: Charming, Northeast Minneapolis Home is perfect for first-time homebuyers

Located in the Holland neighborhood, it's near the Eastside Co-op, tons of amazing restaurants, breweries, and a distillery

US-169 BUS, Shakopee, Minnesota - June 2019 (1)

Eden Prairie 19-year-old killed in crash near Valleyfair is ID'd

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in this crash, involving a 26-year-old driver from Hopkins.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.35.25 PM

Man pleads guilty for threatening to kill Hennepin County employees

Peter Robert Berry has a criminal history dating back to the 1970s, according to court records.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 7.54.07 AM

Fourth person sentenced for murder of Minneapolis realtor

Lyndon Wiggins is the fourth person that has been sentenced in the kidnapping and killing of Monique Baugh.

covid

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Thursday, June 23

The number of Minnesotans up to date on their vaccine has dropped, largely due to kids 6 months to 4 years now eligible in the data.

Related

Carbon monoxide leak sends 11 to the hospital

A carbon monoxide leak sent 11 New London residents to the hospital. Firefighters found several residents of the 16-unit apartment building unresponsive. Authorities believe a broken exhaust chimney on a hot water heater is to blame for the leak.