A family-owned carpet store that had been a mainstay of Cloquet for the past 50 years was destroyed by a massive blaze.
The showroom and warehouse of Cloquet Interiors were destroyed in a fire that 50 firefighters battled for about 9 hours starting Thursday afternoon.
An estimated $1.5 million of damage was caused by the fire, with investigators now trying to find out what started it.
The showroom and warehouse were well ablaze when fire crews arrived, with firefighters unable to even enter as the carpet, linoleum and laminate flooring burned inside.
A decision was taken to protect Cloquet Interiors' other buildings, the Cloquet Fire Department said.
A plume of smoke from the fire could be seen from miles around, in an area that just recently experienced the Superior oil refinery fire.
Power and cellphone service was shut down in the Elko area, where weather models showed the smoke was blowing, and residents in the plume's path were notified of the situation.
After the blaze was extinguished, firefighters stayed on the scene to ensure the smoldering remains didn't reignite, given the dry conditions that prompted wildfire warnings on Friday.
Nobody was injured in the fire, with everyone getting out of the property safely.