Skip to main content

After eating chocolates, Ramsey man dies from peanut allergy reaction

  • Author:
  • Updated:

A Ramsey man died this week from an allergic reaction to chocolates he had eaten – because they were made in the same factory where peanuts are used in other products.

The Star Tribune spoke with the family of Bruce Kelly, who said the 22-year-old and his twin brother Ryan had suffered from a peanut allergy all their lives, but found they could eat many foods with warnings on the label without a reaction.

The chocolates in this instance did not have peanuts as ingredients, but the label said they were made in a place where peanuts were used in other products. Nonetheless, Bruce Kelly had eaten several of them without a reaction in the days before his death, the newspaper says.

This past Monday however, he ate "three or four" and suffered the reaction that ultimately killed him, despite efforts by his brother and father to save him with a shot of epinephrine.

His parents, Brian and Beth told WCCO their sons had been allergic from a very young age and were careful even though many products carry warning labels without necessarily having peanuts in the product. They hope their son's tragic death can be a lesson for others.

"He was just always very scared, you know, very cautious," Beth told the station. "He didn’t just disregard candy bar labels."

"It’s going to be hard, very hard to live without my son, our son," she added.

The Thurston Lindberg funeral home website says Kelly's funeral is being held Saturday at 11 a.m. He is also survived by his sister Kirsten and grandmother Rita Kelly. says around 3 million Americans report being allergic to peanuts, tree nuts or both, and it is the most common cause of food related death, with saying between 150-200 Americans every year die from an allergic reaction to peanuts.

According to Kids with Food Allergies, the FDA requires all packaged food with peanuts to have the ingredient labeled clearly on the package. Advisory statements such as "may contain peanut" or "made in a facility with peanut" are voluntary though.

Next Up

Pixabay laptop keyboard phone dark

Charges: Duluth man had hundreds of child porn images, videos

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children found nearly 330 images on the man's electronic devices.

hennepin county sheriff water patrol lake minnetonka

Scuba diver found dead in Lake Minnetonka identified as 20-year-old

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office said 20-year-old Brady Alan Aune, from Elko New Market, died of freshwater drowning on June 3.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 11.18.35 AM

Felony charges filed after authorities search 'Peacebunny Cottage'

The president of the rabbit rescue non-profit faces multiple animal cruelty charges after over 40 rabbits were found dead inside the organization's barn.

monkeypox virus

Minnesota up to 6 confirmed cases of monkeypox virus

Most people recover at home within 2-4 weeks.

thc edibles

Did Minnesota just accidentally legalize THC?

A Republican lawmaker who voted to approve the new law in May is already talking about rolling it back.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 3.19.42 PM

Gasoline may be cause of sewer explosion on U of M campus

An all-clear was given around 9 p.m. Thursday, with residents in the area allowed to return to their homes.


Overwhelming demand for THC products on first day of new law in MN

One shop owner said his Chaska store broke the online sales record before they opened Friday morning.

Flickr - Lake Minnetonka boat - Greg Gjerdingen

Increased drunk boating enforcement over 4th of July weekend

The increased enforcement is part of the Operation Dry Water initiative.


Four kayakers stranded, rescued in Chisholm park

The kayakers became stranded at Redhead Mountain Bike Park Thursday afternoon.


Duo charged after 10-pound meth package sent to wrong address

More than 10 pounds of meth are off the street thanks to a delivery error.

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 11.01.32 AM

Bird Rides' suburban expansion continues in Minnesota

Its scooter season in Minnesota. The latest on where you can find Bird e-scooters:

Flickr - police lights squad siren - Edward Kimmel

Man found dead with 'trauma to his face' in St. Paul

A man was found dead with "trauma to his face" in St. Paul after 3 a.m.


Community mourning after MN teen's death from peanut allergy

Funeral services for Jacob MacDonald are this Thursday.

Community mourning after MN teen's death from peanut allergy

Funeral services for Jacob MacDonald are this Thursday.