Victims of sexual abuse at the hands of priests will receive a share of $210 million in a settlement announced by the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
The archdiocese announced the enhanced settlement as a part of its ongoing bankruptcy negotiations, which will be shared between 450 survivors of clergy abuse.
Survivors and lawyers gathered in St. Paul on Thursday as the settlement was announced, bringing an end to a scandal that has enveloped the Catholic church in the Twin Cities for years.
The settlement works out at an average payment of $466,666 per victim, with the Pioneer Press reporting it's the largest ever settlement agreed by a Catholic archdiocese.
"It really is a story of trauma and triumph,” attorney Jeff Anderson said, according to the newspaper.
The settlement, which is $50 million more than had previously been offered, brings an end to all litigation against the archdiocese.
Today's Top Stories
The sex abuse scandal led to the resignation of former Archbishop John Nienstedt in 2015, after the archdiocese was charged with failing to protect children, after decades of abuse that was covered up.
His replacement, Archbishop Bernard Hebda, addressed survivors at a news conference on Thursday in St. Paul.
"Without (your) courage and persistence, today would not have been possible,” he said.
"I recognize that the abuse stole so much from you. … Your childhood, your innocence, your safety, your ability to trust … and in many ways, your faith."
Here's the press conference: