Authorities confirm cause of Lexii Alijai's death on New Year's Day

She died from a mixture of fentanyl and alcohol toxicity.
Author:
Publish date:

Authorities have confirmed that Lexii Alijai died from an accidental overdose at the Loews Hotel in Minneapolis on New Year's Day.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office says the 21-year-old died "due to mixed fentanyl and ethanol toxicity."

Fentanyl is the highly potent synthetic opioid that was involved in the death of Prince, among many others.

It's previously been revealed that the St. Paul rapper, a rising star in the industry, was found "cold to the touch" in her 7th floor hotel room on the morning of New Year's Day.

Others who were with her said when they woke, Alijai – real name Alexis Lynch – was unresponsive.

The latest figures for drug deaths in Minnesota, from 2018, show that synthetic opioids were the only classification of drug that saw an increase in fatalities.

Synthetic opioid overdoses – including fentanyl – rose by 5.4 percent from 184 in 2017 to 194 in 2018.

Of those deaths, fentanyl was listed as a contributing factor in 184 of them.

Fatal overdoses caused by other opioids and other drugs either stayed level or dropped in 2018.

Sign up: Subscribe to our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

Next Up

Related