A mother who died at the Hiawatha-Franklin homeless encampment overdosed on meth and the synthetic opioid fentanyl, an autopsy has confirmed.
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office says that Pamela Rivera, 51, died from a combination of fentanyl and methamphetamine toxicity.
The Native American's death in the early hours of Sunday, Sept. 30 has been ruled an accident.
The mother-of-eight was one of the earlier arrivals at the Hiawatha encampment, which is now home to 200 homeless, many of them Native Americans.
The City of Minneapolis is looking to move them to a temporary location on Cedar Avenue ahead of the winter, which should provide better access to services and provide shelter through three FEMA-style trailers that will be erected at the site.
FOX 9 ran a story about Rivera's death earlier this week, revealing that Rivera had shared some of her experiences at the tent city with Lydia Marie, who streamed video on Facebook Live as she brought supplies to those living at the camp.
Rivera was seemingly struggling to get her hands on supplies and food, and in the run-up to her death had grown increasingly distressed about her treatment at the camp.
She died despite a dose of Narcan, which counteracts the effects of opioid overdoses, being administered.
With the growth of the tent city has come increasing concerns about drug use, crime and access to health services for those living there. Rivera's death is one of at least three linked to the camp in recent months.