Brainerd woman dies after clothes catch on fire while burning garbage

She was air lifted to the Twin Cities but didn't survive the injuries.
Author:
Publish date:

A Brainerd woman died Saturday, Jan. 5 as a result of complications from thermal injuries, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office announced. 

The 78-year-old woman was identified as Janet Arlene Fraune, whose obituary describes her as a "well known and respected" person in Brainerd who owned and operated Jan's Sewn with Heart "for many years." 

According to the Brainerd Dispatch, Fraune was burning paper and garbage on a stove in a garage on the 13000 block of Hwy. 210 in Brainerd on Friday, Jan. 4 when her clothes caught on fire. 

Family members were able to extinguish the flames with water but not before she was seriously injured, requiring an air ambulance to transport her to Hennepin Healthcare in Minneapolis, where she died the next day. 

Fraune's obituary notes that she enjoyed cooking and spending time at her family's cabin on Lake Winnibigoshish. 

Fire deaths down in Minnesota in 2018

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety released data Thursday saying fire deaths were down 47 percent in 2018 compared to 2107 throughout the state. 

In 2018, 36 people died in fires compared to 68 the year before. 

The data revealed that the leading causes of fire fatalities last year was careless smoking and cooking incidents, which killed five and three people, respectively. 

Minnesota fire deaths since 2009:

  • 2018: 36
  • 2017: 68
  • 2016: 43
  • 2015: 57
  • 2014: 44
  • 2013: 44
  • 2012: 50
  • 2011: 56
  • 2010: 39
  • 2009: 35

Next Up

Related